4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

appending (2000)

Hello, a user has been putting data into a copy database rather than the live version. I need to append these records across, they are all one to many records. How am I able to do this? I have tried to simply copy and paste but it only copies the master record not the child. Could I use an append query and if so I do I reference the path to an external database in terms of the syntax. i.e. database called dba on L:@abydh/dba/tablename etc,,, where l is the drive and @abydh the folder.

Many thanks Darren.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: appending (2000)

Make a backup copy of both databases before trying the next steps.

You can use File | Get External Data | Link tables to create links to the tables in the copy database. Since they have the same names as the tables in the live version, Access will automatically assign a sequence number, i.e. the linked version of tblProducts will be named tblProducts1.

Create and run an append query that adds records from the linked "parent" table to the live "parent" table.
    Next, create and run an append query that adds records from the linked "child" table to the live "child" table.
    You must add the "parent" records before the "child" records, otherwise there'd be a conflict.

Once you're done, you can delete the linked tables.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: appending (2000)

Thanks Hans.