Star Lounger
    Thanks

Color to Grayscale and consolidate (2002/xp)

I have an 85 slide presentation that is currently all color. I need to take and consolidate the presentation by placing 4 slides onto one slide. I need to maintain the slides look so basically when you see the one slide you will see four separate slides. It essentially needs to look like printed handouts (4 slides per page). The other catch is the whole presentation needs to be converted to grayscale as well. There only seems to be grayscale options for printing only.

I tried to send the presentation to MS word which worked nicely as each slide was converted to an image which I then copied and pasted onto a slide, getting 4 image slides per slide, but when I converted the image to grayscale the text and graphics became unreadable.

What would be nice is to maintain the same grayscale conversion that you get when you view the presentation in grayscale or print the handouts in grayscale. PowerPoint does a nice job at converting and the colors change nicely so that all the text and images are readable. Any ideas how I can do this for slideshows too.

Thanks,
    Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Color to Grayscale and consolidate (2002/xp)

I think we need to hear more of the WHY you are attempting this task. My only solutions are somewhat ungraceful, because PPT was not designed with that end in mind -- most humans see full-color, and those that do not have their own "gray-scale converter" . Is the subject of the presentation related to color/grayscale? Graphic pros will tell you that converting color to greyscale is not an automated click and forget. There are subtleties that require an interactive, informed approach.

If you have a PDF creation tool (such as Acrobat Standard) I think printing the grayscale 4-to-a-page handouts to PDF would enable you to send or post electronically a consolidated grayscale version of your presentation -- you could open up the PDF on most modern PCs/Macs, rather than open the PPT. The PDF is not easily editable, it would be easier to edit the PPT, then redo the print to PDF as needed.

PDF pros will tell you that you should have some idea of the final output method, there are some tweaks that may come into play.

If the above doesn't suit, You should probably recolor your graphics individually to a "gray-scale" format before sending to Word -- it's tricky to do inside of PPT, I would recommend instead a true graphics program (Corel/Adobe). I would also design a POT file inside of PPT which would only have black, white & grays in the color scheme. So it would be fix in graphic program, paste into new version of the PPT file using the "bw.pot", then send to Word.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the information. In short, the why is because some upper level executives requested the PPT in this format. We too, agreed that people see in color not grayscale. As we speak we are finding a bit more detail as to the why to be sure this is the path to take. If it is then I think I will print grayscale and then turn around and scan the printout and insert the slides that way. Or just do screen shots with grayscale view and crop.

Thanks again,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a complete guess, maybe someone values a few coppers worth of toner more than a few hours of your time?

StuartR

Thanks

PowerPoint has a "black and white" mode, but I don't know whether that affects the way the presentation shows or just the way it appears on the screen while editing.

Some design templates might be in grayscale; changing templates could be a quick fix if the placeholder sizes and positions, and fonts are very similar. Otherwise, it could be a huge chore.

Some graphics programs have an "eyedropper" or similar feature that let you click a point and will tell you the RGB color values. If you have such a program, you could do the following:

(1) Save a slide to PNG or BMP (so all colors are preserved exactly)
    (2) Open the slide in your image editing program (e.g., Photoshop Elements)
    (3) Convert the image to grayscale
    (4) Use the eyedropper or other tool to get the RGB values of the "colors" and manually change those values in the slide master of (a copy of) your presentation

Probably there will be some text or other content that isn't in the slide master; these would require individual attention.

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't read your original requirements closely enough. If you need to fit 4-into-1, then pasting images would be better than tinkering with the master.

Many image editing programs have a batch processing feature (including Photoshop and Photoshop Elements). If you do a Save As to PNG of all slides to a new folder, then you may be able to use the program to convert all images in the folder to grayscale. I haven't tried it with PS Elements (or with the open source ImageMagick or GIMP), but that would seem to be the most logical way to proceed.