Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Processing Outlook Calendar entries (2002 SP3)

The following interesting problem has been presented to me.

The user wants to <UL><LI>take all the calendar entries, from a particular date to a particular date, which represent Training Room bookings over a period of several months<LI>select those for a particular organisation, and<LI>produce a sorted list of booking dates and times for that organisation, suitable for inserting into a Word document[/list]with a minimum amount of user effort.

Please beware that all involved are ignorant of any processing mechanisms to do with Outlook!

Any suggestions as to what could be done? Currently the whole calendar is copied, exported to Excel, sorted and selected -- but there ought to be an easier way (I hope!).

Thanks

John

PS Just to add to the complication, the calendar in question is actually part of a Public Folder, which I can't find a way of exporting (File -> Import and Export -> Export to a file -> <select...?>)
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Processing Outlook Calendar entries (2002 SP3)

John, without walking through the exact menus, see if you can:

1. get into a table calendar view such as Active Appointments
    2. create a filter that isolates the meetings you wish through View | Current View | Customize
    3. copy-&-paste the displayed result directly into Excel
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I will try tomorrow, but I'm still puzzled at the apparently lack of ability to Export to File from a calendar in a Public Folder...

John

PS I have no idea how the person who posed the question managed to do the Export, for she is not back at work until Thursday...!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Check with Server Admin or the person(s) who has the Permissions to maintain the Calendar in question; Public Folders are not usually accessible to the common employee such as me.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'll check on the permissions, and if they're wrong I will get a Domain Admin (i.e. me!) to adjust them appropriately!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

No, still no good. Whatever I seem to select/highlight it makes no difference. I never get Public Folders listed as one of the entries in the "Select Folder to Export From window. I just get "Archive Folders" and "Mailbox - John Gray" (with their subfolders, of course)... I can feel a Grrrrh coming on!

John

PS I've even made myself an Owner of the Public Folder in Client Permissions, without any improvement!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One of the limitations of the Export function is that you can not export from a public folder. (Another is that you can not export custom fields. Both of these limitations can be overcome with VBA code. ) You need to copy the folder locally before exporting.

The prior suggestion of using a table view and copy/paste is a good one. You don't need to set up a custom filter. Set up the columns you want and select the records you want and do edit, copy. Besides not having to copy the entire folder before exporting, you only get the columns you want in the result.