4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BE Connection (Access XP)

We have several multiple user split databases we are using in our organization. All of the BE files are located on the same server. One of the databases when it is opened shows the cannot find the .mdw file error somewhat sporatically. If the error is dismissed and the user trys again in a couple of minutes the database will open successfully. It seems like the front end cannot find the connection to the server. This problem is not happening with any of the other databases and seems to happen at some time or another for most of the users with the database in question. Ever heard of this before? I have tried compact and repair and reinstalling the shortcuts and front end files, same problem. It has not become a critical problem yet, but I would like to find a solution before it becomes a bigger problem. This started happening a couple of months ago. Only change to the network is it recently went through a Private-10 Network Conversion. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Carla

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: BE Connection (Access XP)

Sorry for the extended delay in answering your post. (I've been swamped on a couple of projects for several weeks.)

I presume you actually have a shared MDW file stored on the server that multiple people are using. We have seen issues with this arrangement, especially when you have quite a few users. We have also seen corruption of the MDW file in that arrangement when someone's workstation crashes (or Access crashes). For those reasons, we normally deploy the workgroup file to the local workstation. It does create some updating issues if your user population changes - but we found that an easier problem to solve than going around and chasing everyone off the application(s).
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,

I have moved the .mdw to one of the users local PC's yesterday morning and so far no connection problems. I think this might be the solution. We do not have a lot of employee changes. Every two to three months there might be a new user so managing the .mdw locally won't be a problem. I will probably just add the .mdw to the batch file we use to copy changes in the front-end changes from the server to the user pc and I would be able to manage changes the .mdw same way as other changes. I alreadt have to physically setup new computers for databases when new employees are hired so I will only have a little extra work for existing users.

Thanks,
    Carla

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That should do the trick - in fact we started doing that years ago using Access 97. It seemed the security file for it was pretty touchy, and we had one client with about 80 users. The ultimately ended up causing us to create a more sophisticated deployment manager that we have used with as many as 500 client workstations. Let us know if you continue to see problems from time to time.
    Wendell