Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word does not display icon for PDF (2000 SR-1)

I am using Acrobat Reader 7.0.2 on this machine and the icon displays happily without the extra steps. I can't help much beyond saying that it CAN work with Acrobat Reader 7 so there must be a registry setting that is scrambled.

I wouldn't expect this problem to lie within Word itself since Word is using object linking and embedding to do this task. Perhaps you can verify by using different software to embed the acrobat object into and see if you get the same icon behaviour.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word does not display icon for PDF (2000 SP-3)

After our company updated from Adobe Reader 6.0 to 7.0, we have found that, when a PDF file is inserted into a Word document (Word 2000) using Insert > Object > Create from File, and the Display as Icon option is used, the file appears without the PDF icon. When you click the Change Icon button, you can see the icon at that point. If you click Browse, the file is pointing to: C:WindowsInstaller{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A705000000002}PDFFile.ico}. I have verified that the icon file exists.

File associations for PDF appear to be correct. The correct icon displays in Windows Explorer, and also when PDF documents are received as attachments in Microsoft Outlook messages. In both cases, the PDF file launches correctly in Adobe Reader. I have performed both a repair and a reinstall of Office 2000, to no avail. I have been in contact with Adobe Expert Support on this issue, and they are convinced that the problem lies within Word. Any suggestions?
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word does not display icon for PDF (2000 SP-3)

I know for a fact it works on one of our PCs - strangely enough, our Citrix server. I asked our server techs, who told me that it was installed in the same manner (SMS deployment) as it was on all of our other PCs. This is Adobe Reader 7.0.5 that we are using. The strange thing about it all is, in all other respects, Adobe Reader seems to be installed correctly and is functioning normally.

I intend to do a removal and reinstallation of Adobe Reader on a test PC, this time performing a standard installation of Adobe Reader from the download page, vs. using SMS deployment, to see if this produces the desired result. However, the SMS deployment was performed using instructions provided by Adobe.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.