Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copy from 386(DOS5) to new computer (Win95 98)

I have just resurrected an old 386 with DOS 5.00. It controls an instrument and I need to keep the cards, etc. I want to copy all the data from it to my ordinary computer where I can burn a CD. Then I can try upgrading.
    I have Norton Commander on both machines (version 3.0 for DOS on the old computer and version 1.0.2 for Win95 on the new machine (Win95 4.00.950 [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]. They both have the Link command and I tried using the Commander Link cable with no success. I think the versions are too different to be compatible.
    (I will post this also in Windows group, but I'm not sure where best to ask this).

Any clues about how to copy data or where to try to ask gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Ruth

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy from 386(DOS5) to new computer (Win95 98)

My inclination would be to take the hard drive out of the box, install it as a slave into the machine with the burner and ghost the drive. Symantec Ghost is very good at this, and so is DriveImage - good luck.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy from 386(DOS5) to new computer (Win95 98)

I found some help on the Symantec site in th knowledge base on Norton Commander. Then after searching through all my old floppies I found the disk for NC 3.0 (circa 1989 !). Then I booted to DOS and installed it into my new computer, connected the serial cable and used the same program on both machines.
    This will work again when I need to copy data regularly.

Thanks
    Ruth