3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Domain Logon Problems (XP Pro, SP2)

Intermittently, when I attempt to log onto my computer, I receive the following message:
    <hr> Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance.<hr>
    I received this error message sixteen times this morning before I was able to log on. Just a few minutes ago, it only appeared once before I could successfully log back on; however, sometimes I go days without ever receiving the error message.

We don't have an in-house system administrator, and I've called our tech support people in the past but they've never been able to find the cause. No one else on our network has ever received this message, and while I have been able to replicate the problem when the techs were watching, they don't seem to be able to narrow down the cause. I must admit that it has become enough of a bother that I put off logging off for much longer than is healthy, because I never know how long it will take me to get back on.

Anybody have a clue what's going on, or how I can even identify the real problem?
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Domain Logon Problems (XP Pro, SP2)

The first place I would look is in the System Event Log of your logon server. Then ditto for your PC. Occasionally something interesting gets written there for problems...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John, for a direction in which to begin my search. The server's system log for about that time tells me:
    <hr>The computer HE012 (that's me) tried to connect to the server using the trust relationship established by the domain. However, the computer lost the correct security identifier (SID) when the domain was reconfigured. Reestablish the trust relationship.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp <hr>
    I tried the link and received a "Page Cannot be Found" error.

The closest error message on my computer was eight minutes earlier. It was for
    <hr>Date: 2/21/2006 Source: Userenv
    Time: 7:54:29 Category: None
    Type: Error Event ID: 1054
    User: NT AuthoritySystem
    Computer: HE012
    Description:
    Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp<hr>
    Now what? Are these two error messages even related?
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is a procedure in <!mskb=150963>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 150963<!/mskb> for re-establishing the trust relationship, it basically involves leaving and then re-joining the domain.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

A Google search on Event Id 1054 comes up with several hits. The first one is a Microsoft Technet article <!mskb=298656>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 298656<!/mskb> which suggests you explicitly specify the name of the DNS server.

The second has the following text:
    Event ID: 1054
    Source: Userenv
    Type: Error
    Description:
    Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted). Group Policy processing aborted.
    Symptoms: Your XP computer may experience an extremely slow logon when connecting to the domain. You also receive the Event ID 1054 in the application event log:
    Resolutions: This is mostly like DNS issue and it occurs because the client may not be able to reach the DNS or the configured preferred DNS server on the client is not valid. If all XP computers have the same problem, check the DNS server settings; if only a few xp computers have this problem, make sure they have correct DNS settings. You may use ipconfig or nslookup to troubleshoot.

In both cases you would undoubtedly need to find a techie who knows about networks...

Stuart's suggestion, to remove the computer from the domain and add it in again, probably needs an Administrator (or an administrator userid and password!) to do this for you. But if it works, it would be the quickest!

However, I am concerned about the intermittent nature of the problem. Have you been experiencing unexplained delays when accessing "the network" or the internet? Perhaps there could be a physical connectivity problem?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Has the system been powered off when this happens? Does powering off completely make any difference? Has the system gone into hibernation or standby? Have you eliminated hardware issues such as a cable or network card?

Joe
    Joe