Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying old 386 to Win95

I have just resurrected an old 386 with DOS 5.00. It controls an instrument and I need to keep the cards, etc. I want to copy all the data from it to my ordinary computer where I can burn a CD. Then I can try upgrading.
    I have Norton Commander on both machines (version 3.0 for DOS on the old computer and version 1.0.2 for Win95 on the new machine (Win95 4.00.950 [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]. They both have the Link command and I tried using the Commander Link cable with no success. I think the versions are too different to be compatible.
    (I will post this also in Hardware group, but I'm not sure where best to ask this).

Any clues about how to copy data or where to try to ask gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Ruth

Thanks

Re: Copying old 386 to Win95

I assume you are asking this because there is a 'large' quantity of data to copy - beyond using floppies?
    Two thoughts:
    1] Do you have a Zip prog than will compress and span across multiple floppies?
    2] Can you install the HD into another pc on a temporary basis?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you ultimately trying to install Win 95 on the 386?

Won't run. Need a 486 or better.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's only relatively a large amount (25Mg), but I'm also having trouble making the floppy disk read floppies. My idea was to try to make a backup before I muck about trying to change the computer.

I have found a solution: installing the old Norton Commander on my new compter and running it from DOS.
    Thanks
    Ruth

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what upgrades are going to be possible. If necessary, I'll keep everything the same. If possible I'll upgrade the memory and disk space. But I need to identify the cards etc in it first.
    Thanks
    Ruth

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ruth,

Memory and disk upgrades alone won't help. I can remember this issue from 1996 when I first (tried to) installed 95 on all of the office computers. It was a no go on those that had 386 processors. It just won't run on a 386. (period).

They used to sell these Cyrix 386-to-486 processor replacement upgrades. If you can get a hold of one, that will work to run 95. Problem is, new (or manufacturer refurbished) computers have gotten so cheap that upgrading will likely cost you more.

One solution we have used to squeeze life out of obsolete computers is to canibalize one to provide the parts for another. Great for memory, hard drives, CD-ROMs, etc. I did this with a 486, then installed Red Hat Linux 6.2 (not 7) and Samba (networking software that connects windows and Linux PCs), and I now have a nice file server and internet access machine. Total cost was $34.95 for a Linux how to book that included the OS (and Samba and tons of other software) on a CD. (BTW RH 6.2 will run on a 386 in text mode)

Good luck!