Thread: IE 5.5

Colleen

IE 5.5

[img]/w3timages/icons/baby.gif[/img]Am running IE 5.2 in Win 98SE.

What kind of problems will I have if I upgrade to IE 5.5?

I have been told 5.5 doesn't behave properly in Win 98<font color=red>text</font color=red>

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 5.5

I thought the version before 5.5 was 5.01. Is this wrong? I haven't had much trouble with 5.5, but a lot of experts recommend sticking with 5.01. 5.5 has a print preview that 5.01 doesn't have.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Like Phil, Colleen, I've been using IE5.5 for a few months with no problems. However, it appears that some people have been having some difficulties.

Microsoft say here that it "supports technologies designed to support rich, interactive web applications".

But for the average user, apart from getting the 'print preview' facility and some security fixes, it does not seem to me to be worth the effort of upgrading at this time.

If you are happy with the version you are currently using I'd feel inclined to stay with it.

Colleen

Thanks for your input. You are absolutely right.
    I am running IE 5.00.2614.My brain leaped across the 00.
    I need to upgrade to 5.5 in order to use a new program. It will not work with 5.00

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure where you find it, but you can upgrade to 5.01. So far as I know, any program that runs with 5.5 will run with 5.01

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Given that you have 5.0, 5.01 is available through Windows Update. Be careful to select the 5.01 update and not the 5.5 update (last time I looked, both were there).

By the way, I went back to version 5.0 (and then went to 5.01 as above) from version 5.5 on the weekend because I was having a lot of problems with lockups in IE. However, I must be honest - I did a lot of other cleaning up at the same time, so going back to 5.01 may not be what resolved my problems. It's nice that an uninstall of 5.5 will take you back to 5.0 if you previously had that; it certainly cut down on the re-installation time.[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]