2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Flashing Cells (VB/Excel)

I found a previous board that had the following:

To make a cell flash every second if it's value is 1, you could use conditional formatting in the target cell, with the formula:
    =AND(MOD(VALUE(TEXT(NOW(),"ss")),2)=0,A1=1)
    and set the conditional format to whatever font/background/border arrangement you want. Then add the following macro to the workbook:
    Sub FlashCell()
    Range("A1").Calculate
    Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("0:00:01"), "FlashCell"
    End sub

My question is what do I need to change if I just want a cell to Flash if the calculated total is a negative number?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Flashing Cells (VB/Excel)

I seriously recommend NOT using flashing cells. The novelty of such an approach quickly wears off, and it then becomes irritating to the user. Moreover, it can be dangerous to people susceptible to epileptic seizures.

You can draw attention to a cell using conditional formatting: give the cell a thick red border if its value is negative, or something like that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

EXCELLENT POINT.... One My teacher stated last semester. I forgot about that. Thanks for the save. So how can I make the border do what I need it to do. What about background color too?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Select the cells where this is to apply. Then go to Format/Conditional Formatting. Change the drop down list to "Formula is". In the formula box enter:

<code>
    =A1<0
    </code>

In the above formula above, change A1 to whatever cell address is the current cell in the cells you selected.

Click on the Format button and select whatever formatting you want.
    Legare Coleman