5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copyright advice for website

Can someone please give me advice regarding copyright on websites.

The dilemma l have is this. I created a website - Club Southampton , which was taken over by a 3rd party.
    He then re-done some aspects of the site of this site , which l used a new website l done - Club Amigos.
    Someone is telling me l am infrininging copyright laws by copying them, yet l done the original site!
    All l am doing is using my some contect from my original website (Club Southampton) and copying some of that onto the new site.

my original website : http://www.clubsouthampton.com

my new website http://www.club-amigos.co.uk

Can l be infinged for copyright in this matter?
    I am not using any Club Southamptons content.in my new site.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Copyright advice for website

The fact that you did (or one did?) the original site has nothing to do with who owns the copyright. If it did, it would probably belong as much to those who helped you put it together in the first place!

I would ask this someone for specific details of what is considered to be a breach of copyright.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that.

Thanks

I haven't looked too closely, but what I think you would have to look out for is the use of images or graphics that belong to Club Southampton (or have at least been used by them). These could definitely be protected under copyright.

I think it exceedingly unlikely that any HTML code or scripting could be protected by copyright. Probably the worst they can accuse you of is imitation and/or plagiarism, which you should avoid anyway. There are some aspects which look very similar - the links along the top, for example - and I suspect they are objecting to these resemblances. Whether or not they would wish to get involved in costly legal proceedings to attempt to stop you having similarities is debatable - I think the possibility is remote.

Personally I would make your 'new' site as different as possible, you know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Frankly, it sounds like there's more to this than possible litigation over a mere web site design! You may just have to 'cut-and-run' to avoid the hostilities. (I'm remembering things like the two clubs meet on the same night, in just about the same place... Makes it sound like something personal is going on.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Al (there's more to this than a copyright issue) and Leif (the chances of them launching a law suit are thin).
    To get to the issues you've raised:
    <UL><LI>Web page design, as well as content, is copyrightable.
    <LI>The fact that you designed the Club Southampton site makes no difference, because the site says "Copyright Club Southampton" not "Copyright <!t>[Your Name]<!/t>". Perhaps a lesson for future web sites is to insist that you retain the rights to the design, if you think this is going to be an ongoing issue - but you can't do it retrospectively.
    <LI>What specifically are they claiming is a copyright breach? Club Southampton don't have exclusive rights to the ideas of having links along the top, a FAQ page, etc. - they're common web design ideas that can be found on hundreds of web sites. They do, however, have rights to their images and wording, and possibly to specific design ideas. Looking briefly at the two sites, I don't see any possible copyright violation issue, although as Leif says, there could be a justifiable claim of plagurism.[/list]I think, though, the best way to resolve this is through friendly dialogue with Club Southampton, and finding out what the real problems are between the two parties, as this copyright thing is almost certainly a side-issue. Frankly, the idea of two clubs whose ambition in life is to be friendly and sociable not being able to get along together is laughable, and childish disputes like this indicate that neither club is fit for purpose. But perhaps the place for discussions like this is Scuttlebutt, not this forum!
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that advice.

Thanks

I'm not licensed to practice in the U.K., and your laws may be different. In the U.S., unless the author signs over the copyright or is an employee, the author owns the copyright. Even if the buyer paid money for the work. This is one reason it's always a good idea to have a clear written agreement for web development. If the rights have been signed over, re-using the sold code without permission usually is a problem. Consultant developers often retain ownership of "standard libraries" (or a good license) so they can re-use them over and over in other projects.