3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE and Adobe slow print (XP Pro SP1, IE 6.x, Adobe Reader 6.x and 7.x)

I have a client with an XP Pro SP1 machine that for all user profiles prints woefully slow to a network printer. This is a recent development and the printer is a Ricoh 1060.

Tried repairing the 6.01 app, the 6.02, 6.03 and 6.04 upgrades. Uninstalled all the above and reinstalled. Uninstalled all the above and upgraded to Reader 7.x with no change.

I'm trying to come up with a browser setting that might help this since it is possible that it is the browser connection that is crimping the performance. Tomorrow I am going to confirm that the behavior is the same with or without the browser integration option selected, ie, forcing the PDFs to open in a separate Adobe Reader window and not the browser.

Anyone ever run into a significant slowdown of Adobe Reader during network printing that was not profile specific and appears possibly to be linked to the browser?

Thanks.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Thanks

Re: IE and Adobe slow print (XP Pro SP1, IE 6.x, A

Are the files huge? PDFs can be slim text-based files or massive compilations of bitmaps (e.g., scans). They can be set up for "progressive" downloading (first page displays quickly, but can be very slow to get the whole file) or downloading all in one go (first page displays after the download). So there are some variables to check on, unless ALL PDF files are slow, in which case... perhaps there is something broken with the printer driver?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a dangerous reply... I'm home and won't know for sure until Friday. I believe the files are text and contain HR or Payroll policies or guidelines and do not contain graphics. I'll confirm tomorrow. To test the printer configuration I set up the Ricoh as a local TCP/IP port and made it the default for this user. No difference. I was looking for a PostScript driver but the Ricoh PS driver is pretty lame. Plus, this machine (any user, not just the one who reported the issue) is the only one where this is happening. Before I image the box and start over I'd like to rule out a bit more.

-Jester

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is the answer to this "slow" or ""no" printing issue and it applies to Attachmate's Extra mainframe emulator / front end, Autocad as well as Adobe Reader. These apps all scan the printer folder for the attached printers. If you are on a network and the network printer is no longer available or the properties of the printer have changed such as being moved to a different print server yet the client has not reinstalled to update the configuration, the app tries to communicate to the printer or printers as if they are still valid. If you have any printers that are old and you are on a network, clean up the printer folders. I don't know if you have a local printer that is not hooked up if these and possibly other apps exhibit the same behavior.

-Jester