4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error message with Explorer (IE v6.0.2900.2801 with SP2)

I am getting an error message with IE. I have SP2 installed and XP is fully up-to-date. It seems especially frequent when I do a Google search and try to link to one of the search results....and even if I cut & paste or type the URL into my browser, it still happens. I have attached a zipped MS Word file with screen shots of the message......does this look familiar to anyone; does anyone have any suggestions?...thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: Error message with Explorer (IE v6.0.2900.2801

Hmmm, I don't see a document in that ZIP file. Can you try again?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm.....I tried to zip it.....and I got a zip file, but it says that it is too big....the original Word file is 489kb and the zip file is 456kb....what's up with that ?

Thanks

Word automatically compresses images itself, so perhaps there isn't much additional savings from zipping. Do you have a lot of images in that file? Maybe you can show less screen in your examples.

(Either that or your options for the zip program are not set to maximum compression.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I only have 3 images, and I tried to make them smaller....didn't work too well....I tried to convert it to pdf format, but that didn't make it much smaller.... am now sending it with 1 image
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

As you know, a lot of Google results are "noise" or, even worse, "spam" that lures you to a site that pushes pop-ups and worse. I suspect this is happening to you. Perhaps the first thing is to make sure that you are not being too trusting of sites in your Internet zone.

If you open IE's Tools>Internet Options... dialog, Security tab, and highlight Internet, what "level" are you using -- default or custom? To reduce the amount of stuff that web sites can do, you can use Custom and increase the security level either using the drop-down or by making manual changes. In particular, I suggest that you disable installation or running of any unsigned ActiveX controls, and prompt to download any signed controls.

Also, inspect what has been installed using the General tab, Settings... button, View Object button. This will open a folder of downloaded ActiveX controls. Remove anything suspicious. (If it's important, you can install it again when you get to a page that requires it.)

A general going over with antivirus and antispyware also would be a good idea.