Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems loading websites . . .

I have a friend whose Laptop is suddenly experiencing problems loading certain websites; naturally, I thought it was Spyware, so I've run Spysweeper, CounterSpy, and Windows Defender.
    I also installed ZoneAlarm and loaded/ran AVG to look for viruses. Finally, I used the LSP fix and updated the Registry to overcome DNS issues (eg, unsuccesfful sites). Despite all this, the Laptop still has trouble connecting to certain sites. Certainly, AVG can't download updates, and www.microsoft.com is one of the sites that can't be found. I've got the Laptop at my house, so I've unplugged my DSL cable and plugged it into his laptop--problems persist. When I plug the cable back into my PC, I have no problems accessing any sites.

Can anyone think what I'm missing, b/c it definitely seems like a virus or spyware. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Problems loading websites . . .

Hi Over~
    Can you give us more information on what "trouble connecting" means?
    Any Error messages?
    Have you checked the Security settings in Windows Options? Looked in the restricted zone list to see if any sites are shown there?
    Try adding www.microsoft.com to the Trusted Zone?

You also might want to DL HiJackThis from HERE and run it.

Also try CWSHREDDER from Trend Micro
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just connecting the websites--both in Firefox and in IE. Eventually, you get time-out errors or unable to connect messages

Is DL HiJack better than the AntiSpyware programs I mentioned?
    Is CWSHREDDER also useful if I've run all the other AntiSpyware programs?

Thanks for your reply and for your help. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>... whose Laptop is suddenly experiencing problems loading certain websites ...<hr>
    Certain websites? Have you looked at the "hosts" file? Maybe something is changed there, so that either an address gets redirected or no access. It is located in "...Windowssystem32driversetc", and the name is "hosts" without extension. It can be viewed with Notepad, do not associate it with Notepad just open it.

The only entry that should be there in normal cases is:
    127.0.0.1 localhost

This is localhost, the own computer, but other IP-address might be there, so that for instance microsoft.com gets redirected to some bad place. Now in your case you don't get redirected, instead no access, but maybe you have some invalid addresses there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks--I should have mentioned that I checked the HOSTS files--everything was OK?

[img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Thanks

Are they better than others? It seems that some programs will pick up some problems and other will not. It's a good idea to try them all if the problem isn't easily resolved. They are all freebies, so why not?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm guessing that this is a high-speed (i.e., DSL or cable) connection to the net. Have you tried rebooting the router at the incoming connection point?
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is probably way out in left field, but how about trying a CMD window and <big>ipconfig /flushdns</big> to clear the local DNS cache?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but this happens both at his house AND at my house, so it's definitely the Laptop and not the connection

I'll try to flush the DNS, and I'll report back . . .

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You have NOT stated what browser you are trying to fix. I am assuming that it is IE with Windows XP.
    Are there any sites listed in the Restricted area of "Tools, Internet Options, and then the Security tab?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, sorry, I ommited to state that in my initial post, but in a subsequesnt post, I advised that it is in *both* Firefox & IE6 (now 7, after I upgraded).

Thanks for your ongoing help. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Have you tried any of the online scans such as Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan and <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/">Free Online Spyware Scan - Trend Micro
    Joe

Thanks

Hi,
    Have you tried <code>nslookup</code> and <code>tracert</code> from a command prompt just to see where the requests are trying to go?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have downloaded ZoneAlarm Pro, as I read that it is the only AV program that currently has rootkit inspection--it's running an AV test now.

It definitely seems as though certain websites are blocked or intercepted. For example, microsoft.com comes up with Errors (line 41, object expected, etc). However, this works perfectly on my PC--remembering that both this Laptop & PC are using the exact same internet connection (I'm switching the RJ45 cable between my PC and this Laptop).

If I try to update AVG, it sees the Update, but as soon as it tries to download it, I get a message stating that the Server Name cannot be converted to the IP Address.

I've flushed the DNS (twice), as suggested, and these problems persist.

In total, there are 9 programs running to protect the Laptop!

2 AV programs: ZoneAlarm & AVG.
    2 Firewalls: ZoneAlarm & the Router
    5 AntiSpyware Programs: ZoneAlarm; Spy Sweeper; Ad-Aware SE; AdwareAlert; CounterSpy!

One other thing that was suspicious: after installing ZoneAlarm pro, it detected that IE was trying to log information (suspucious behavior, I believe it called it). Perhaps this is just because it's IE7, and it's collecting data for Beta Testing, or maybe there is something there?

Either way, despite all I've done & installed, the AVG update problem persists, and certain websites will not load.

It *so* seems like a virus or Trojan, but nothing is being found? [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Thanks

Have you tried the two commands I suggested to check where, for example, the laptop thinks www.microsoft.com is?
    You might also want to check the LMHOSTS file. If you download Opera, does it show the same symptoms? (I'm curious as to whether the existing browsers have each been hijacked or whether it is a system-wide problem)
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast