New Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to render page #s differently (Word 2003)

The field { PAGE } returns its results using the ten characters 0-9 (ASCII hex 30-39). My font (LTC Caslon) has an alternate set of glyphs for the ten digits (the old style where 3, 4 and 5 dip below the baseline), and I want to render page numbers with these alternate characters. They are UNICODE characters F730-F738.

The field { SYMBOL } with a little arithmetic on the result of { PAGE } almost does the trick. But I need to embed { SYMBOL } within an { IF } (to suppress leading 0s), and when I do, { SYMBOL } returns nothing.

The field code { NUMPAGES }, for example, returns number of pages and { SYMBOL 65 } returns the letter A, as they should. But, while { IF 2 > 1 { NUMPAGES } } also returns the number of pages, { IF 2 > 1 { SYMBOL 65 } } returns nothing at all.

{ IF 2 > 1 { SYMBOL 65 } "false" } returns nothing either, so the conditional is indeed evaluating TRUE. It's as if SYMBOL just fails when inside an IF field.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? If it is a bug, can anyone think of another way to accomplish the goal? (Just doing a replace on the numbers doesn't work, because Word constantly changes them back.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Trying to render page #s differently (Word 2003)

Interesting. The { Symbol } field code doesn't seem to work inside other field codes either. For example

{ Quote { Symbol 065 } } also doesn't display the letter A.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Trying to render page #s differently (Word 2003)

I was able to rewrite the formulas so that the IF field was within the SYMBOL field instead of the other way around (though only because the font has a zero-width Unicode character). So I'm out of the woods.

But if this really is a bug, how does one report it?