Star Lounger
    Thanks

FIND in WORD '03 (WORD '03)

I can't always find stuff I KNOW is in a lengthy document using the 'Find' search. I recall that some text is not actually findable due to the style you have assigned to it. Can someone help me better understand this fun feature of WORD??!!
    Thanks,

Thanks

Re: FIND in WORD '03 (WORD '03)

Using the Language setting ("no proofing") you can hide text from spell checking and grammar checking. However, I don't know of a type of formatting that will hide it from Find.

If there is any type of formatting indicated under the Find What box, try clearing that using the No Formatting button. And compare the other settings (e.g., whole words, match case) with the text you are looking for.

Find will skip hidden text if you are not viewing hidden text (Tools>Options..., View tab). Find also might not find text that has been inserted using a field code, but I haven't experimented with this to refresh my recollection...

If none of that helps, is there a sample you could post, maybe just an ill-behaved paragraph or two in a new document?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've never seen the problem you describe, I have always managed to find things that are in a document using Edit > Find. Could it be that you have extra characters in your text, like spaces, paragraph marks, lines breaks, page breaks etc?

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In my experience, Word does a pretty good job searching text, but you have to keep an eye on the special settings available if you click More in the Find/Replace dialog. For example, if you tick the check box labeled "Match case", Word will only find text that exactly matches your find text including capitalization. If you enter leroy in the Find what box, and tick Match case, Word will find leroy and Fauntleroy, but NOT Leroy or LeRoy. Within a session, Word remembers the most recently used settings, so you have to reset them if necessary. If you have specified that you want to search for some kind of formatting (for example bold text, or text with the Heading 1 style, you can click Clear Formatting to stop searching for specific formatting.

Note: Word also lets you enter special codes to search for items such as page breaks, bookmarks etc. See Phil Rabichow's Re: Find/Replace Special Characters (Word).