3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP shut down window style (XP Home)

Hi,

I'm installing XP Home on a system upgrade (new hard drive....XP home oem ..... not doing an XP upgrade) and am not getting the standard 3 button shut down window. Rather, I'm getting the old Windows 2000 style shut down window where you clik on the drop down seclection window to choose from "shut down", "restart" etc.

I prefer the new XP style with the 3 separate icons for "shut down", "reatart" and "log off". I prefer this new style because on the old Win 2000 sytle if you hit "restart" it defaults back to that the next time you go to shut down (i.e, come back in the morning to discover the computer rebooted because you left it on "restart" ).

Now, when I first installed the operating system it had the new XP style shut down window. Then along the way I ran the network wizard and since then I have the old style window. I've used TweakUI to turn off the log on window during boot up and turned off the boot up "welcome screen" in USER options in Control Panel, and those changes took effect as they should. But I still have the old style shut down window and can't find how to change it back.

So, can anyone tell me how to get back the original 3 icon shut down window?

Sorry if I've been a bit long winded.........I just want to try and make this clear.

Thanks,
    BH

Thanks

Re: XP shut down window style (XP Home)

Try this .
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

That appears to be for forcing the LOG OFF option to be non-removable from the START button. Will that also force the older style shut down window in the middle of the screen? To be honest I remove the LOG OFF option from the start menu since I'm the only user. Is there a connection between that and the shut down screen?

Thanks,
    BH

Thanks

<hr>I remove the LOG OFF option<hr>
    If you mean by this that you enabled an Autologon with TweakUI, then I'm not sure whether or not that removes the "log off" option on the shutdown screen. Why don't you try disabling the autologon and see what happens?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I think that, starting with a default working OS, turning off Welcome Screen in User Accounts (Control Panel) will change the log on to the "old Win2000" style (if log on is used) and change the shut down dialog from "3 separate icons" to "Win2000" style. But you do not see the "old Win2000" log on screen, since you have turned it off. You are left with the shut down dialog, however.

So if you would like "XP style" log off/shut down etc. enable Welcome Screen. Then if one want no log on, Welcome Screen, use TweakUI or some other way (Userpasswords2).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Argus,

Thanks. Lying in bed last night I was wondering if something like that might work. I'll give it a try this morning. If it doesn't work I'll try and post some images of what I have and what I want.

Thanks,
    BH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

At home, I use autologon so I don't have to deal with the welcome screen and still have the button layout for shutdown.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

To change logon AND logoff dialog, click Start | Control Panel, then click on User Accounts and on User Accounts screen click on "Change the way users log on and off" link. Checking "Use the welcome screen" checkbox brings Windows XP-style logoff dialog (the "tree-button" one), unchecking it brings Windows 2000-style dialog (with drop-down list).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for the help.

Yes, as Kaplinb said I have discovered that you need to have the welcome screen activated in order to get the 3 button shut down to show. Thanks! My problem was that I turned it off to get rid of the log in password window instead of using TweakUI to accomplish that task. I've straightened it out and now have things the way I want.

Thanks again,
    BH