New Lounger
    Thanks

access to archive files (Outlook 2003)

I have just changed my computer and have reinstalled all my programs and data files. I seem to have a problem with Outlook archive files (*.pst files). When I try to open an Outlook data file I am told that I do not have permission to access the file. The same message occurs whether I try to access newly archived files or files copied from my old computer. Can anyone suggest why Outlook won't let me open my own files?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: access to archive files (Outlook 2003)

If you backed up the .pst files to CD-ROM, then copied them to the new PC, they probably are read-only. Outlook need to have read/write access to a .pst file.

Right-click them in Windows Explorer, select Properties and clear the Read-only check box.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: access to archive files (Outlook 2003)

Thanks for your advice. That was what I wondered myself, but when I checked this they were not marked as Read Only. There are also some new files archived the other day directly onto the computer that it would not let me access. However, I have just now tried again, and it has opened all the files successfully without complaint. The refusal must have been a momentary aberration (though a large number of files were tried and refused). Perhaps this will just have to remain a puzzle.