Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merging documents (Word '03)

How safe is merging documents. Does it actually, really work? Lessons Learned please are most appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merging documents (Word '03)

What do you mean by "safe"? It generally works very well, even with large documents and with large numbers of data records.

One thing to be aware of: there are more fields than just merge fields that will be replaced with their values during the merge process.

Do you have specific concerns you would want to know more about?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My merge scenarios are as follows:
    I am working on a document and have made editorial changes.
    Someone sends me the last version of same document that they have added/ or enhanced technical content to.
    I am MERGING their document into mine.
    I would then think that the track changes that are displayed would be those of the technical author AND NOT MINE yet, I just did this today and track changes was asking me about MY last edits (or so it seems--this is a large document 350+ pages.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I was thinking about mail merge, so my previous reply is not relevant.

In the Tools | Compare and Merge Documents dialog, there is a little dropdown arrow on the right hand side of the Merge button. If you click this dropdown arrow, you can choose between Merge, Merge into current document and Merge into new document.

Merge (the default) will use the document you select in the dialog as the basis, and display the differences with the currently open document.
    Merge into current document will use the currently open document as the basis, ans display the differences with the document you selected in the dialog.
    Merge into new document will create a new document and display the differences in this new document.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was aware of this, but, this is not helping me, frankly, though I realize you don't realize that yet.
    My still question is
    What is the best choice for my routine situations. I always want to incorporate the updates of the developer into *MY current working version of the document*, and be prompted to accept each of THEIR PROPOSED CHANGES/additions after the merge is finished.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you'll have to use the developer's version, compare and merge it with your working version, then save the developer's version as the new workimg version.

Thanks

I often do it the wrong way first, with the "wrong" document open. Then I go back and do it again the other way. Fortunately, you end up with a new document, so it is (or at least should be) nondestructive.

As for its effectiveness, Word 97 worked pretty well, but since the big changes in Word 2000, the feature often seems to "give up" on interleaving small changes and instead shows large deletions and insertions. This will depend on the complexity of your documents, and perhaps it has been greatly improved in Word 2003. One can hope!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> One can hope!

Abandon hope all ye who think that Word 2003 fixes this issue.

StuartR