2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two laptops sharing one wireless connection

I use a monthly commercial broadband service. The subscription however allows connection to one laptop only (using the laptop's physical address). However, I need to use both my personal laptop and work laptop at the same time, both online. Is there a way to connect my second laptop to the first one so that both laptops can be online without a second subscription ?

Thanks

Re: Two laptops sharing one wireless connection

Can you give us a little more information on the setup? Who is your ISP? Is your broadband connection coming in to a wireless router? - if so, details on it would be helpful.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif. I am staying in a hotel. It has a lan cable I can connect, but instead of connecting to my laptop directly, I connect it to a wireless router. Connecting my first laptop is no problem (I just need to click OK on a subscription, but when I try to connect to the second one, it asks for a subscription again. I don't know who is the provider. Any solutions ?

Thanks

My view is the hotel has every right to limit your connection to a single laptop/pc. That is the subscription you have bought, and adding additional computers to the connection would be akin to you booking a single room at the hotel and then smuggling your family in to share it. Apart from which, by adding a wireless router, you could - in theory - be (inadvertently) providing a free wi-fi hotspot for every other guest in the hotel.

It may be possible to share the connection via the first laptop rather than directly from the router. A Google for "share internet connection" brings up many hits such as "How to share a broadband internet connection" which you may be able to utilise.

I have no doubt there is a way to circumvent the limitation, but we are certainly not going to allow direct advice on how to breach a legitimate contract for internet service on this forum!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could also visit the Desk Clerk or Customer Service or whatever the hotel calls them and ask for a second subscription to see how much they will CHARGE you for it, if they allow it at all.