Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP (Home) Startup (SP1)

For a while now I've been noticing that XP is taking an inordinate amount of time (~3 minutes) to get started. It seems to crank up ok, but then sits for a long while with just the task bar and a black screen. Eventually, the desktop just pops into view. I finally decided to check the boot log. Yikes! I've got several pages of text , most of which is composed of the same or similar repetitive lines of 'Did not load driver _______. It seems to be trying to load mostly the same things over and over. It mentions Legacy Audio Drivers, WAN Miniport, Video Codecs, etc., etc. Once it's up, it seems to run ok. It does have some trouble shutting down (difficulty shut down progs.) but that may be unrelated.
    I would really like to avoid a reinstall if possible. I can put up with a lot to avoid that trouble. Still, it would be nice of things worked correctly. I'd be happy to send along a portion of this bootlog if anyone thinks it would be helpful.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP (Home) Startup (SP1)

Firstly, forget the boot log. Unless you're looking for something specific it's probably of little use. Secondly, the load failures you're seeing in there are normal.

The first thing you should do is disable everything that starts at boot - either by trying Safe Mode, or by using the MSCONFIG utility to disable all startup items. If the computer starts with reasonable speed and time in one of those situations, you've identified that it's something in the software and not a hardware problem.

Chances are you could stand do to a little maintenance and housecleaning, as well. Search the Lounge and you will find numerous threads on how to accomplish this.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Mark. I've already tried the MSCONFIG route with little or no effect. Disk cleanup is a regular thing. Security (adware, spyware, antivirus, firewall) all tight and up to date. Plenty of available real estate on the HD. 512 Mb RAM. I only checked the boot log because I'm running out of ideas. I should have been more specific, however when I said the log was several pages long. It runs to 19 pages at 10 pitch. That can't be a good thing. I ran one for comparison here at the office on XP Pro SP2. It was two and a half pages.

I'd appreciate any other ideas you might have. I don't want to start over if I can help it.

Keith

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

This sometimes happens when Windows is try to connect to a network or shared device. Have changed any networking hardware or software? Have you enabled file sharing? Do you have any drives mapped to a network folder/device that is not available when you boot? Check Windows Explorer Tools | Folder Options | View and make sure that 'Automatically search for network folders and printers' is NOT checked.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    Thanks for pointing me to that setting. Automatically search for network folders and printers WAS checked, even though this machine is not on a network and there's no drive mapping. I unchecked it and rebooted. The good news - the boot log looks normal again. 2 1/2 pages. The bad news - none of this had any apparent effect on the three minute boot time. I guess I'm still looking for a clue.

Maybe I'll just leave it on ...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just for grins and giggles, create a new user profile and log on with that instead of your normal profile. I'm curious to see if the lag before the desktop appears has anything to do with your user profile, which could be corrupt.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark - Very creative thinking. I like it. I'll try it when I get home this evening.

Keith

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark - I think you've found something with the profile suggestion. Last night, I created another profile with admin rights and rebooted. It booted to the old profile without asking. I tried it with and without the welcome screen. Again and again, old profile, no choice. I'm able to log off and then log on as the new profile, but I can't force the login at boot to give me the option.

So I created a third profile and copied my settings to it, thinking that I would then just delete the original and stick with the clean one. When I switched to the new profile, most of my settings were there, but my antispyware, WinPatrol, etc. began firing off, thinking I was an intruder, and several pieces of software wanted registration again. It was late and I didn't have time to look into it, so I killed off the new profiles and I'll try again when I have more time.

Thanks for pointing me to this, Mark. I doubt I would have thought of it. And I was wondering how to spend all that spare time this weekend.

Keith

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have autologon enabled, by chance? It sounds like your user credentials are being entered automagically for you and bypassing the logon prompt (this would hold true with or without the Welcome screen).

To temporarily bypass autologon, hold the SHIFT key when the computer is starting up and you should be presented with the option to log on as a different user. To permanently disable it, you would need to use a tool like TweakUI or edit the registry.

Either way, I hope this is getting you on the road to solving the problem. Let us know how it goes!
    -Mark