3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tracked changes (Excel 2002)

I've viewed other postings on Tracked Changes, but no one seems to have the issue that I have. In our Excel document we select Tools, Tracked Changes, for All. We can then make changes and the little delta appears in the corner of the cells where changes were made. But if we save the Shared file and either the same person or someone else opens the file, Tracked Changes must be turned on to see the changes.

Is there a way to have the Tracked Changes save as turned on?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tracked changes (Excel 2002)

Tracked Changes *are* on, but only changes since the last save are displayed. You can put code in the Workbook_Open event in ThisWorkbook to display *all* changes. You'll have to turn off sharing the workbook to create the code, then turn on track changes again. The code:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Me.HighlightChangesOnScreen = True
    Me.HighlightChangesOptions When:=xlAllChanges
    End Sub

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans.

I couldn't get the code to work, because I'm not very good with macros. We probably wouldn't use the code, because we cannot include macros in documents sent to customers.

I think you did tell me exactly what I needed to understand how Tracked Changes works in Excel: i.e., In order to see all the changes that people make to the document, all editors would need to be in the shared document at the same time.

Am I on the right track there?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, that is not necessary. When you select Tools | Track Changes | Highlight Changes..., you can select which changes are highlighted on-screen:
    - In the When dropdown, you can select Since I last saved, All, Not yet reviewed, or Since date..., where you can specify the date.
    - In the Who dropdown, you can select Everyone, Everyone but me, or a specific user.
    - In the Where dropdown, you can specify a range of cells (optional, if you leave this blank, changes in ALL cells will be highlighted.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tracked Changes in Excel appears to be one of those features that just doesn't work the way most people would want or expect.

I wish there was a way to have the changes always visible when the file is opened without a macro or going back to Tracked Changes to display again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In fact, I never use tracking changes at all, since it involves sharing the workbook, and in my experience that greatly increases the probability of the workbook becoming corrupt.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, for the information. I didn't know that shared documents tend to corrupt. I will try to recommend that our staff no use sharing, if possible.