2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Create custom symbols (Word 2003 SP1)

I am aware that you can create a custom bullet list and use a picture as your bullet symbol.

But, can you create customized symbols that you can pick from and use in regular text in Word? My client has created a series of charts that refer to Node A (with the letter in a colored circle), Node A1 (letter and number in a colored circle), Node B1 (letter and number in a colored circle), etc. and wants to reference these nodes in the body text of the report. Right now they encircled letter-number combinations are tiny pictures that are in "In Front of Text" layout with multiple spacing to allow room for their placement.

Is there an easier way????

TIA,
    gg

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create custom symbols (Word 2003 SP1)

Wouldn't pictures in line with the text be easier to work with? That way, Word will take care of the spacing automatically.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, but it cause another problem... increasing the leading in between lines in the paragraph (see attached).

We will probably change the charts to have the text in the circles just be another font (Arial Black) and a different color than the body text. Then make the same adjustment in the report text.

Thanks for helping me think this through!
    gg
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

True, but this is probably too much "dance on the table top" formating for a document that still has to go through a rigorous editing and proofing process and still keep within the company formating style.

We are going to try to sell the writer on a character style of colored, bolded font, with highlighted background (yellow text on green highlight, yellow on black, white on gray, blue on light gray, etc.). We can match this in the PPT graphics. This solution will survive the total editing process better!

Thanks for all your help,
    gg

Thanks

I believe we have had threads on "how to create your own fonts." It might be too much trouble for just one document, but if they do this over and over...

You also could consider setting the line spacing to an Exact value, rather than relying on Single, Double, etc., but this can lead to other format changes (e.g., with Space Before and Space After) that might not work for your overall formatting.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could lower the pictures by a few points (in the 2nd tab of the Format | Font dialog, I used 5 points in the attached version) and set line spacing to Exact (in the Format | Paragraph dialog, I used 15 points).
    Attached Files Attached Files