Star Lounger
    Thanks

WORD '03 & Adobe (Word '03)

I have a tech document (system design document) that I broke into 7 separate documents because WORD kept crashing when it was whole. It is now about 1,200 pages total.
    Boss is telling me I need to find a way to get it into a single digital document. The only other application I have on laptop if Adobe Acrobat Standard 6.0.
    If I convert each WORD document to an adobe file will I likely succeed combining them and having the a single, workable document (at that point I will NOT need to edit again). If this is not going to work, can someone recommend an application that I can use to give me a digital copy fo this lengthy document.
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: WORD '03 & Adobe (Word '03)

I don't know whether Acrobat can handle a 1,200 page document. Nor do I understand why a person thinks it is necessary to create such a large file.

A program renowned for its ability to produce large and complex documents is Adobe FrameMaker; however, it's a bit pricey, and the conversion probably will take some doing, and no one else will be able to open it without FrameMaker...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, you can set up the docs as separate Word files and then convert each of them into Acrobat files. Acrobat is the best application to do this combining activity if you can't get Word stable with everything combined.

Once in Acrobat, you can easily stitch the files together (using the Insert > Pages command). If you use the Acrobat macros to create your PDF files then you can also have all the hyperlinks and cross linking (within files) maintained but you may want to manipulate the Bookmarks and add additional cross links across the previously separate files.

I would expect you to include a TOC across the full doc set in Word (by using RD fields in the first doc). Note the entries won't be hyperlinked to the external docs and you may want to provide some linking inside the resultant Acrobat file to allow the users to navigate easily.

To avoid the need to post-process the seven acrobat files into one, you could probably merge copies of all the Word docs into one doc, update the TOC and send to Acrobat. The docs should be stable enough to allow at least that level of activity since you won't be doing authoring within that file and are just using it to create the Acrobat file with all the bookmarks and TOC links working.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Acrobat can handle files of that size without too many dramas but it may be a little slower than using separate files. Generally if you are worried about a massive Acrobat file, you can set up an Acrobat index across multiple PDFs so that the users have the best of both worlds - smaller Acrobat files that open quickly and don't chew system resources along with the capability to search for words across the complete document set. Indexing a set of Acrobat files greatly speeds word searches and is easy enough to do - every document in the set contains a link to the index so you can open any one of the files and search across all the PDFs in the set.

The older versions of Acrobat Reader used to have two different versions (one of which could Find (search in the current file) and Search (search across the indexed files)). This complication has now been removed.

Framemaker is going to be overkill for this user and in any case, if you were using Frame to do the job, you would be using separate files for each section of the document unless you were a real glutton for punishment. Frame is great for big documents but the whole structure of the program expects you to actually be working with lots of little files that are merged into a single output document by use of the Book function. Again publishing this to users would rely on Acrobat as the distribution mechanism because it is far more useable/economical for the purpose.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia