New Lounger
    Thanks

mail merge problem (2000)

Hello all,
    I've been trying to help a friend with mail merge. She has two data sources, an excel spreadsheet and a word table. Both look fine and definitely have data in them. When I go through the mail merge process after the select the data source, I get the message that there are no fields to merge or open. This happens regardless of the data source I choose. Any ideas on what might be happening and how to fix this?
    thanks always

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: mail merge problem (2000)

Could you post a sanitized version of one of the data sources?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans
    please see the attached file. This is the complete version. It's just a simple, short list of names.
    thanks for your help
    Marie
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That looks perfectly OK, and I have no problem using it as the data source for a mail merge in Word 2002.
    Just to make sure that Word recognizes the first row as field names, you could try making them bold. (I don't think it will make a difference, though)
    Perhaps a Lounger with Word 2000 can test your attachment too.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow, I actually might be able to help someone!! Usually *i* need the help, so I hope this works out.

I do have Word 2000 AND I've done a lot of mail merge stuff. Unfortunately, I can't see anything wrong with that file either, so it's more likely a problem in getting all the steps right. The Mail Merge Helper tries very hard to make it "easy" but merging is a rather complicated process and if you don't follow every step just so.... But isn't everything about a computer that way??

Of course, there are questions at each step if you don't know what they're talking about. There's a pictorial tutorial here although he's only showing if you want to Create the Data Source in Word. I'll see if I can find one that has screenshots of the Mail Merge Helper when it's going to Open an existing Data Source. He has a pretty good explanation of what's going on though.

Do let me know if you have any more problems/questions because I am thrilled that I might actually know something useful!!

Callie
    --------------------------------
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Callie and Hans
    thank you both for your help. I'll see my friend tomorrow and give this a try.
    wish me luck
    Marie