Thanks

Video PRoblem? (XP Home (SP3))

All of sudden for no reason that I can explain, I am now looking at my PC, and the task bar on the bottom looks like Win98. I went into the desktop properties and also noticed that under appearnace, the Windows XP Style listing was gone. Anyone have any suggestions? I did check my video card and it is ok. This appears to me at least to be something wrong with XP.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Video PRoblem? (XP Home (SP3))

Have a look under Desktop Properties > Settings, what is the colour quality and screen resolution?

I have seen similar symptoms to yours if the system has reverted to VGA display settings (600 *480, 256 colours), if this has happened, see if it will let you increase the numbers.

StuartR

Thanks

I am set at 1024x768 and 32bit (highest) none of that changed as far as I can tell
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Have you looked at the desktop settings?

Go to Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start menu>and clicked start Menu. Uncheck "Classic start menu".
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you post a screen shot (not too large) showing what you mean by "looks like Win98".

StuartR

Edited to add
    Does the fix for Themes (Won't Load or only Windows Classic is listed) about 1/3 of the way down this page on Kelly's Corner help?

SR

Thanks

Added to the above:

Then click the other "start menu" button to UN check the "classic"
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Stuart, etal.
    I went into the Administrative Tools, and both of the items you suggested to look at are currently running. I went into C:WindowsRescourcesThemesLuna.theme, and reloaded it. It now at least shows up int the themes when I right click on the desktop. When I click apply however I get an error message that says: "The theme could not be loaded because the theme service is not running"
    I have attached a screenshot of the desktop.
    Thanks John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's a new one!

<UL><LI>Start > Run > Services.msc <enter>
    <LI>Find the Themes service, presumably it will be in the stopped state.
    <LI>Right click the Themes service and try to start it.
    <LI>If it starts
    <UL><LI>you should be OK now, try to change the theme again[/list]<LI>otherwise
    <UL><LI>Start > Run > Eventvwr.msc
    <LI>Have a look for any events that occurred when you tried to start the Themes service[/list][/list]StuartR

Thanks

Also to add to Stuart's post.

Check to see if it is set to Automatic Start.
    If not, Right click on themes, click properties. On start up type, there is a drop down menu, drop it down and select automatic.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Well,
    I tried all that was suggested, and finally gave in and called Micro$oft. After three hours on the phone with them, they were also unable to solve the problem. I have reformatted my HD, and now all is better. Thanks All, and Thanks MAXTOR External HD. I do have a beef with a national computer store, but I think it would be unfair to post it in here, and I'm not sure if that would even be allowed. If anyone wants to know however I would be more than happy to give you the details in a private e-mail.
    Thanks John