Thread: Siteadvisor

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Siteadvisor

From the site : "SiteAdvisor warns you before you interact with a dangerous Web site. Traditional security products focus on trying to clean up problems after they occur.

SiteAdvisor also complements and enhances your existing security software. Our software specializes in detecting threats which traditional security products often miss, including spyware attacks, online scams, and sites that spam you."

Positive reviews. Small plug-in. IE and Firefox. Created by MIT engineers. I've used it for only a short time, but it seems to do what it claims.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Siteadvisor

Note: The current version is a public trial (i.e BETA). According to the site:

"The trial version of our software is free of charge. In the future, we will offer paid versions with additional premium features."

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 03-Mar-06 10:21. )</P>Reputation services are an up-and-coming security tool for business, so why not for consumers? As long as the information is advisory in nature and the software doesn't actually censor the web for you, and of course as long as the bots actually assess the threat accurately, it holds great promise.

(Edit: I should have looked more closely, they already do this!) I suppose what might come next is a toolbar that actually embeds the little "okay" and "no way" icons next to the links in whatever page you're viewing or rewrites the links to take you to a report window for anything suspicious before loading that page. Would that be too intrusive? Hmmm...

Thanks

Dennis,
    That's an interesting little program. I'll have to mess around some more with it but so far looks nice!. Thanks.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Once the robots connect with more sites (seemingly an impossible task, given the number of sites existing and the number added every day, hour, minute, second), the safety button should become more comprehensive. Today I've deliberately browsed to some "nasty" sites and have found less than satisfactory warnings. Maybe SiteAdvisor should merge with Google. Also, I have an impression that the connection to some of the web sites are slower than usual. I'll have to check that out more thoroughly.

Overall, I think the concept is a good one if someone does a lot of "random" browsing. Mine is fairly limited, though. After the beta testing is over, I'm not sure if I would invest in the program.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was recommended SiteAdvisor by a friend and have been using it for a while now. I find it extremely useful. At least it keeps me away from sites that marked as 'X' which I may have gone onto accidently. I like it very much.

I understand it has been taken over by Mcaffee recently.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson,

I have been using this tool for a week or two and I really like it.
    <hr>what might come next is a toolbar that actually embeds the little "okay" and "no way" icons next to the links in whatever page you're viewing <hr>
    SiteAdvisor does this for Google searches, which is a good start.

StuartR