Star Lounger
    Thanks

Expression (Created) column outputs nothing??? (VB.NET)

Hello!
    I'm working on a VB.NET page that interfaces with an Access Database. I usually try to create my queries in Access first, then copy the SQL to my .aspx page. One particular query looks at the name in a column and outputs initials. Here is the SQL statement (which works perfectly in Access):

strSQL = "SELECT ID, ProjName, BidDate, ProjLoc, Engineer, EngCont, Owner, OwnerCont, IIf(ProjEst Like 'Will*','W.T.',IIf(ProjEst " & _
    "Like 'Bob*','B.G.',IIf(ProjEst Like 'Doug*','D.M.',IIf(ProjEst Like 'Brian*','B.C.',IIf(ProjEst " & _
    "Like 'Mitch*','M.B.',IIf(ProjEst Like 'Cyle*','C.B.','')))))) AS ProEst, IIf(ExcEst " & _
    "Like 'Kody*','K.S.',IIf(ExcEst Like 'Mike*','M.M.',IIf(ExcEst Like 'Doug*','D.M.',IIf(ExcEst " & _
    "Like 'Ron*','R.M.','')))) AS ExEst, IIf(UtilEst Like 'Norm*','N.D.',IIf(UtilEst " & _
    "Like 'Kevin*','K.B.',IIf(UtilEst Like 'Trav*','T.F.',''))) AS UtiEst, IIf(ConcEst " & _
    "Like 'Will*','W.T.',IIf(ConcEst Like 'Bob*','B.G.',IIf(ConcEst Like 'Doug*','D.M.',IIf(ConcEst " & _
    "Like 'Brian*','B.C.',IIf(ConcEst Like 'Mitch*','M.B.',''))))) AS ConEst, TurnTot, " & _
    "ExcTot, UtilTot, ConcTot FROM tblAllBids " & _
    "WHERE ((BidDate>=#10/27/2005#) AND (ProjStat Is Null) AND " & _
    "(ExcStat Is Null) AND (UtilStat Is Null) AND (ConcStat Is Null)) ORDER BY ID;"

All the columns reproduce fine on the Web page, with the exception of ProEst, ExEst, UtiEst & ConEst, which are all empty. I've triple-checked the syntax, and it is identical to what is in Access. Does anyone have any idea why those columns are not generating properly?

Thanks so much in advance!

Thanks

Re: Expression (Created) column outputs nothing??? (VB.NET)

Does it help if you replace the * in your Like expressions with %?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That works! I guess there's something about going to .aspx that likes the % instead of the *. Now...

I have this going to a DataGrid, with AllowSorting="true"...here's one of the columns:

<asp:BoundColumn HeaderText="Contact" HeaderStyle-Font-Bold="true" HeaderStyle-HorizontalAlign="center" HeaderStyle-BorderColor="#000000"
    DataField="OwnerCont"
    ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign="center"
    ItemStyle-BorderColor="#000000"
    SortExpression="OwnerCont"
    />

All of these work except for the 4 generated columns, which all produce an error on clicking the column heading to sort. Not a huge deal...I've just disallowed sorting on those columns for the mean time.

Thanks so much, I'd love to hear any ideas on the latter problem if you have any.

Thanks

I suspect the Like issue has to do with the communication via ODBC or OLEDB.
    I don't know why you can't sort on those columns - I will see if I can dig anything out of my books when I get home.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel