Thanks

Spy-trojan loads as Firefox extension? (?)

Trend Micro has added detection to its antivirus products for JavaScript embedded in an extension that apparently sends information you enter into forms to another web site. See JS_FFSNIFF.A - Description and solution.

One should, of course, be highly suspicious of extensions that try to install from sites other than the "official" sites. In Firefox 1.0.x, there was a place in the Options... dialog to list the trusted sites that could "push" .xpi installer packages to your browser. I'm not sure where this went in 1.5.x; I went into about:config and searched for xpi, and the preset sites appear to be addons.mozilla.org and update.mozilla.org (which I guess I had cleared earlier).

Even if extensions are simply offered for the taking, it would make sense to check them against the comments and ratings on the official extensions site (https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=firefox) to avoid becoming a casualty of attackers who think we Firefox users might have a false sense of security.

Thanks

Re: Spy-trojan loads as Firefox extension? (?)

I read the article, but I can't find any mention of the specific extension. Any idea?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

Re: Spy-trojan loads as Firefox extension? (?)

I found that strange, too. Perhaps the sample(s) submitted were not well labeled (the author didn't want to be known)?