4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Msoft Wheel Mouse

I recently bought a new wheel mouse for my Windows98SE computer and installed the accompanying Intellipoint 4.1 software. It works well, particularly the autoscroll feature. However, I have also installed the software on a networked PC which has a Microsft Intellimouse 1.2A installed and the auto scroll feature is jerky and almost impossible to control at a slow speed. It jerks and then races through half a page at a time. Disabling the Intellipoint software by uninstalling it does nothing to help the situation. Any suggestions? The Intellipoint 4.1 software Wheel Troubleshooter is unable to help.

Thanks

Re: Msoft Wheel Mouse

Is this one of those old "ball" type mice? Not an optical?

Your description sounds like what happened with those mice when the rollers got loaded up with lint and grunge.
    If it is, take the ball out of the enclosure and clean out the rollers. Should be two or three of them in there.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the 1.2a is an old mouse, and the Intellipoint 4.1 software may not work. Have a look here or here .

edited to add: It is indeed a very old mouse. It was on the Windows 98 Hardware Compatibility List.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, they are both ball-type mice. However, the mouse itself is not the problem. I have swapped them between my PCs and the erratically performing one works perfectly on the other PC while the new one stutters on the other PC.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, this response should have been for you. <<Yes, they are both ball-type mice. However, the mouse itself is not the problem. I have swapped them between my PCs and the erratically performing one works perfectly on the other PC while the new one stutters on the other PC. >>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, earlier response was meant for Viking. I tried the two links you gave, thank you. I tried to download a driver but was forced to register on the site and this proved problematical. The necessary confirmation links for registration just wouldn't work. I tried emailing the address given if problems were encountered but it was bounced back to me as not being accepted by their server!!!!

Thanks

Well, the only other thing that I can think of that may help is this article .
    John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that. Followed your link and tried each and every solution in order, Quit unnecessary programs, Clean boot, Reinstall software, no success. However, I have narrowed the problem down somewhat. It seems it is only Word 2000 that has the problem. Auto scroll works perfectly well in Excel, Outlook Express and Windows Explorer, just behaves erratically in Word 2000. I have tried the detect and repair facility in Word to no avail. Reason the mouse works OK on the other PC is because it has Word97. Curiouser and curiouser!!! Thanks for your efforts.

Thanks

Well, hopefully someone else may have a suggestion.
    John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Are the documents large or small? Is this only when you read documents? Or when you compose them? What other programs are typically open when this occurs? How old is the PC? What are the hardware specs?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It happens with any size document, whether composing or reading. Regarding what other programs are open see my response to Rebel where I said I had closed all unneccesary programs. PC is five years old, 800Mhz Pentium111, 128MB Ram. As I have already said, this only happens with Word 2000.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This has been reposted in the Word forum. To avoid duplication and confusion, I am locking this thread. Please post all further replies in the thread starting at <post:=561,125>post 561,125</post:>.