5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are These Sites OK?

I cleaned up a friend's PC last week, removing several hundred pieces of adware and spyware and a half dozen viruses. McAfee AV found one virus, though, that it couldn't do anything with. The virus file is called sysvx_.exe. I Googled the file name and only found 3 English language sites that had a reference to it. They both recommended using a product from their sites to kill this: SpywareNuker from the site www.nuker.com, and Prevx1 from the site www.prevx.com. Does anyone know anything about these sites? Can I trust their products?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Are These Sites OK?

From a quick search, I would definitely NOT recommend SpywareNuker. It seems to be a spyware program itself.

From what I can see, Prevx1 is legitimate. See Product Review: Prevx Home Free.

Try starting in safe mode to see if you can remove sysvx_.exe manually. Also use regedit to find and remove references to it in the Windows Registry.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,

>> From a quick search, I would definitely NOT recommend SpywareNuker. It seems to be a spyware program itself. <<

That's what I was afraid of.

>> Try starting in safe mode to see if you can remove sysvx_.exe manually. Also use regedit to find and remove references to it in the Windows Registry. <<

It appears that file is just part of a Trojan program, and at least one other element of it is causing a couple of error windows on login. I can try using Regedit to remove all references to both elements, but I was really hoping to find a "disinfectant" program to deal with this problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As I wrote, PrevX seems to be a legitimate program, and it claims to be able to remove sysvx_.exe. You can download a free trial version.