Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autofill other fields based one field (2002 SP3)

Should the user be able to change the Category Name and Category General Name in tblFiling after he/she has selected a Filing Category No? If not, you don't need Category Name and Category General Name in tblFiling, because they are derived information; you can retrieve them in a query based on tblFiling and tblFilingCategory.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autofill other fields based one field (2002 SP

Actually, I was trying to set it up so our data entry folks have a double check when they're inputting records. I wasn't going to have them see anything other than the one form while inputting (locking down the db by taking out the F11 key, Ctrl W shortcuts etc). So if I was one of them, I select 120, I should just be able to see the City Emblems and Administration towards the bottom of the form to make sure it's correct. Also they should be able to make changes when needed but I have that part figured out with a Not in List event....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can remove the two category fields from tblFiling and use a query as in the screenshot below. When the user selects a Filing Category No, the two category name fields will automatically be filled in.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Somehow I'll still struggling with this, Hans. I've attached a new db. When you open it up, a form opens up. In that form, in the Filing System No, Filing System Description, and Category are all linked according to the query. All I'd like at this point is to have the user select/input something in the Filing System No field and have the Filing System Description and Category automatically filled in with the associated information. I know it's an easy fix but for some reason it's eluding me! If you can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.
    Pooja

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autofill other fields based one field (2002 SP3)

In the attached db, I was wondering how to autofill some of the combo boxes based on one field. Basically on tblFiling, once I have my end users select the Filing Category No, I'd like to have the associated Category Name and Category General Name filled in from the tblFilingCateory and have them automatically progressed to the next record to be entered. (This will be done in a form which I took out to meet the below 100k limitation)!

Thanks.
    Pooja

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've taken the liberty to modify the design of tables, queries etc.

The TypeOfFile field in tblVaultFiles should be of type Number (Long Integer) and linked to the NoNeedKey field in tblEntity.
    The AssignedNo field in tblVaultFiles should be of type Number (Long Integer) and linked to the ID field in tblFunctionalFilingSystemGuide.
    You don't need the AssignedName and AssignedCategory fields in tblVaultFiles.
    You must include ID in the query.
    The AssignedNo combo box must have Column Count = 4 and Column Widths = 0";1";0";0".
    The AssignedName text box (not combo box) must have Control Source =[AssignedNo].[Column](2).
    The AssignedCategort text box (not combo box) must have Control Source =[AssignedNo].[Column](3).

See attached version

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Got it! Thank you VERY MUCH. Still taking classes so hopefully, I won't be bugging you too much longer... [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Having a weird problem. Modified my db according to your attached version. When I checked the table after some inputting, the 'Filing System No' is always off by one. For example, the user is inputting 320-20 and the related table shows 320-10 and so on. Any idea why?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Which table shows 320-10?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

tblVaultFiles

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

tblVaultFiles doesn't need to display 320-10 (or 320-20). and it didn't in the version I attached yesterday. What have you changed?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know nothing except for your suggestions. I've attached the real version for you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For some reason, you have changed the Bound Column property of the AssignedNo combo box on frmVaultFiles from 1 to 0. If you change it back to 1, the displayed value will be OK again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have no idea how I did that but THANKS for fixing it.

Pooja