3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table alignment problem (2000sp4)

I've noticed that in several tables if I choose a number of cells and change the cell alignment, the alignment of the whole row changes, even if the whole row was not selected. This was not a problem until now, as it was usually only the row title column that I wanted aligned differently, so could go back to it and realign it without difficulty. I now have a table with two row title columns, however, and each time I try and select the cells in this column and realign them, the whole row adopt this alignment, so I end up bouncing back and forward (the desired end result being to left align the two row title columns, and right align the data). I should mention that the table also has two column header rows and a caption row at the bottom, which are differently aligned, so I am selecting cells, not columns.

There are a total of 33 rows in the table, and I have found that if I select only 4 rows worth of cells, the alignment does not change across the whole row. Select 5, and it does.

I should add that the table style is not set to automatically update, and there are no autoformatting entries in the undo list.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this behaviour, and what I can do about it?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table alignment problem (2000sp4)

I have never seen this happen. I would double and triple check that you haven't set any style to automatically update.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have set the style of the table to a special style for tables (not a table style - I'm in 2000). This style is definitely set not to autoupdate. I have noticed, however, that when I apply the style, even if I apply it 2 or 3 times with a ctrl-space in between, that when selecting the whole table the style box is blank. This happens a lot. Often the font and size boxes are blank as well. If I tab through the table, every cell declares itself to the TableNormal in style (the name of my table style), Times New Roman, size 12.

The relevance of this observation is that, your having posed the question of whether a style is set to autoupdate, but knowing that the style that should be applied to the table is definitely not, I was wondering whether it's possible to have a style hidden somewhere. Is that possible? Where would I find it?

I've often thought that tables pasted in from excel might have caused problems, so after applying my style to all tables, I have then deleted all xl styles from the document via the style organiser.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post a (sanitized copy of) a document with a table that exhibits the problem?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As I solved the issue using cell-alignment, I'm struggling to find the naughty tables, but will post back when I have.