3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing SHARE name in XP (XP Home)

When I set up my network on a new install of XP Home it defaulted the hard drive share name to "C". I typically use "cdrive" as the share name on all my network computer hard drives and would like to keep it consistent if possible.

In Windows 2000 to change a share name you just had to delete it and create a new share with the correct name.

Windows XP help says that to change a share name just reytpe the new name in the sharing line in the drive sharing window. However, that is greyed out and I can, as typical, highlight the "C" in blue but cannot alter it.

Can anyone tell me how to get the drive name line active so I can type in a new name, or another way to change the share name? I can access the computer across the network just fine with the name "C", but again, would prefer to remain consistent across the small home network.

Thanks for all your help,
    BH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing SHARE name in XP (XP Home)

I have XP Pro rather than Home, so I don't know if yours will work this way. I always open Windows Explorer and right-click on the drive or folder that I want to share. After selecting the sharing menu choice, I do believe you will have to remove the share you don't like and create a new one. Here's what the (slightly modified) window looks like for one of mine (Home probably doesn't look like this???).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing SHARE name in XP (XP Home)

It appears to be a restriction in XP Home that you can only have a single sharename for a folder (for you are in fact sharing C: in your example). On XP Pro you can give a folder as many share names as you like!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...