3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

update queries (2002/SR3)

I'm trying to keep a local table (Candidates Database) synchronized with a web-based MySQL one (candidates_web).

The update that transfers changes to the local machine from the web works fine.
    Here is the SQL:
    UPDATE [Candidates Database] INNER JOIN Candidates_Web ON [Candidates Database].id = Candidates_Web.id SET [Candidates Database].name = candidates_web.name, [Candidates Database].college = candidates_web.college, [Candidates Database].candidate_number = candidates_web.candidate_number, [Candidates Database].programme = candidates_web.programme, [Candidates Database].ft_or_pt = candidates_web.ft_or_pt, [Candidates Database].notes = candidates_web.notes;

BUT the update that transfers from the machine to the web delivers an error message about 'key violations'--though It seems to work if you ignore the warning message and tell it to go on regardless.
    Here is the SQL for that
    UPDATE [Candidates Database] INNER JOIN Candidates_Web ON [Candidates Database].id = Candidates_Web.id SET Candidates_Web.name = [candidates database].name, Candidates_Web.college = [candidates database].college, Candidates_Web.candidate_number = [candidates database].candidate_number, Candidates_Web.programme = [candidates database].programme, Candidates_Web.ft_or_pt = [candidates database].ft_or_pt, Candidates_Web.notes = [candidates database].notes;

Is there something I am doing wrong?

thanks in advance

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: update queries (2002/SR3)

I would expect to receve an error regarding key violations if I tried to set the key field of two different records the the same value.

So I would check Candidates_Web to double check which field is set as the primary key. It should be Candidates_Web.id .
    Regards
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd got that far by looking at other postings--but Candidates_Web.id is indeed the primary key, and nor is the query itself touching that field. It's an annoyance rather than anything else, since the query seems to be working perfectly well ...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Without seeing the data I don't know what the problem is. Sometimes a problem is caused by some odd anomaly in your data rather than a problem with the SQL.

At the moment Candidates_Web is a linked table I suppose. Try importintg the table (just for testing purposes) and see if the problem persists. Try cleaning out most of the data and see if the problem persists. Try just joining the two tables in plain select queries and see if there is anything odd like a record appearing twice or not at all.
    Regards
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for this. When I simply import candidates_web, the Update Queries work like a charm. I'd be nervous about removintg the data from the web version--but I notice that I get the same problem if I reduce the number of fields in the update query even to one.

I can also do an append query without any problems from candidates database to candidates_web.

This is probably not worth bothering about--it's just pesky

Many thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It is often the case that a pesky problem is a symptom of something else wrong that you haven't noticed.

Having imported the web table, copy the whole file so that you can try out various things without affecting your real data.

Can you post a cut down version? i.e.with all sensitive data removed.
    Regards
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for this. The trouble is that everything works fine once I actually copy the tables in. The problem comes when I try to use an update query to copy from a linked table (basically living in an MySQL database online) into what I would hope would be an exact copy of it stored in the front end--from that I've got more manoeuvre in generating queries. I need to do it this way round, because colleagues need to be able to modify the data stored on line. Granted that this is the problem, I don't think I can post it.

many thanks for your care on this

Philip

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I appreciate that you want to work with a linked table. My suggestion of importing was not meant to replace your real situation, but merely a tool to try to track down the underlying problem.

If all works OK when you import, it suggests the problem lies with MYSQL, or else with your connection to it. I don't know what else to suggest.

Can you get Access to update linked MYSQL tables in other contexts?
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this is possible, but if you can find the error number, can't you trap it to ignore it with On Error code?

Thanks

Do you have any indices/constraints set on the web table that are not mirrored on the local table?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel