New Lounger
    Thanks

Statistical Sampling (2002 SP3)

Edited by HansV to present data in table format

I want XL to tell me, based on the following table, how many records are needed for a statistical sample. I was going to try and use nested IF statements to get the it to return the sample size, based on the "universe", the total of records.

<table border=1><tr><td>No. in Universe</td><td>Min. Sample</td><td align=right>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Statistical Sampling (2002 SP3)

Reformat your table like this:

<table border=1><td></td><td align=center>F</td><td align=center>G</td><td align=center>H</td><td align=center valign=bottom>1</td><td valign=bottom>Size</td><td valign=bottom>MinSample</td><td valign=bottom>MaxSample</td><td align=center valign=bottom>2</td><td align=right valign=bottom>0</td><td align=right valign=bottom>20</td><td align=right valign=bottom>20</td><td align=center valign=bottom>3</td><td align=right valign=bottom>99</td><td align=right valign=bottom>20</td><td align=right valign=bottom>40</td><td align=center valign=bottom>4</td><td align=right valign=bottom>299</td><td align=right valign=bottom>40</td><td align=right valign=bottom>54</td><td align=center valign=bottom>5</td><td align=right valign=bottom>499</td><td align=right valign=bottom>54</td><td align=right valign=bottom>69</td><td align=center valign=bottom>6</td><td align=right valign=bottom>749</td><td align=right valign=bottom>69</td><td align=right valign=bottom>82</td><td align=center valign=bottom>7</td><td align=right valign=bottom>999</td><td align=right valign=bottom>82</td><td align=right valign=bottom>122</td><td align=center valign=bottom>8</td><td align=right valign=bottom>1999</td><td align=right valign=bottom>122</td><td align=right valign=bottom>152</td><td align=center valign=bottom>9</td><td align=right valign=bottom>2999</td><td align=right valign=bottom>152</td><td align=right valign=bottom>192</td><td align=center valign=bottom>10</td><td align=right valign=bottom>4999</td><td align=right valign=bottom>192</td><td align=right valign=bottom>267</td><td align=center valign=bottom>11</td><td align=right valign=bottom>10000</td><td align=right valign=bottom>267</td><td align=right valign=bottom>267</td></table>
    and use this formula to extract the sample size :
    (Table is in F2 to H12, population size in I2)

=VLOOKUP(I2,F2:H12,2,TRUE)
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See attached workbook (I interpreted the problem slightly differently than Jan Karel, but the method is similar)

New Lounger
    Thanks

This is wonderful I started with a LOOKUP but couldn't make it work. You guys make it look so simple. Thank you very much.