Lounger
    Thanks

Changing message to appointment (Outlook 2003 SP1)

Hi all. We use Outlook 2003 here on an Exchange 2003 server. I am trying to do the simplest of tasks, but it appears not available in this version of Outlook or I am just blind. I simply have requests from folks who want to change an incoming email to an appointment, yet retain the HTML formatting and attachments. Dragging the email to the calendar loses the formatting and doesn't retain the attachment. Any quick fix? Thanks!!

LisaB

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing message to appointment (Outlook 2003 SP1)

Unless there is a major change in Outlook 2003, you should be able to right click on the mail in your inbox and select Move to Folder. Select Calendar. Email and attachment will show up in the Appointment dialog. Be sure that date and time are set as necessary. Save and close. Your appointment and attachment will show up in the calendar. This procedures works in Office XP and I assume that it should work the same in 2003. I'm hoping MS hasn't done away with this quick and easy process in the 'newer', 'better' version

Don't have 2003 at office so give it try and let us know if it works.

Not sure if will keep html formatting as we do not allow the use of html formatting in our organization.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing message to appointment (Outlook 2003 SP1)

Excellent!!! Thank you!! I was of course trying the hard way and had read that in 2003 it couldn't be done. What appears to not be able to be done is to "change" it to be an appt, it adds it as an attached message to an appt - but that works fine for me! Thanks again..

LisaB

Thanks

Re: Changing message to appointment (Outlook 2003

As with kiazd, I'm testing on 2002. There appears to be three ways you can do this:

1] Drag the message from your Inbox to Calendar.
    Result: A new appointment for the current date and time opens with the message (HTML format) but no attachments. The original message remains in your inbox.

2] Move the message from Inbox to Calendar
    Result: A new appointment for the current date and time opens with the complete message as an attachment. The original message is no longer in your Inbox. (i.e. delete the appointment and you delete the message)

3] Open a new appointment from within calendar. Drag the message from your Inbox into the appointment.
    Result: The appointment contains a copy of the email as an attachment. The original email remains in your Inbox.

If you want an appointment that has everything, drag the message to Calendar. An appointment will open up with the message in readable form. Drag (another) copy of the message from the Inbox to the appointment and you will have access to the complete message including any attachments.