4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update Database (2003)

Currently I put databases (One only have table, another one have queries, forms and reports) on the network drive at work, and there are 4 users to use it. I put the shortcut of database in the individual desktop for users to access database.

What's the best way for me that users still can use the database as I am doing some updates of it?

Thanks

Regards

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update Database (2003)

The database with the tables we refer to as the backend (BE) database, the one with the forms, queries, and such we refer to as the Frontend (FE) database. Each user should have a copy of the FE database on their local drive, rather than all sharing the copy on the server. This way, you can make you changes to the FE on the server without them interfering with your work (and vice versa), and then notify the users when a new version is ready for them to copy down. Any changes to the BE database will usually require the users to exit the databases entirely.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for all information.

I still have the following questions need you assist:

1) The time of running database will be shorter if put backend database on the server and Frontend database on the local drive compare put both BE & FE on the server.
    2) Should I zip the FE database and email to user, so user can download to their local drive?
    3) Can we link the version of database to the current database? Or something likes that to let user to copy it easier?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1) A copy of the frontend will work a bit faster than an individual copy in a network folder, and that will be faster than a shared frontend in a network folder.
    2) That is a good way of distributing the frontend.
    3) I don't understand this question. If you link the frontend to the backend using a UNC path of the form serversharefolder...database.mdb, the frontend should work for all users.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I do now is to link the table from backend to frontend.

I am kind of confused about "using a UNC path of the form serversharefolder...database.mdb, the frontend should work for all users." Can you provide more detail of it?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The backend resides in a shared network folder. There are two ways to refer to a file in a network folder:
    - Using an assigned drive letter, for example H:AccessMyDatabase.mdb
    - Using a UNC path, for example Division3Department5CommonAccessMyDatabase.mdb
    When you link the backend tables in the frontend, you can specify both kinds of path. However, users may have different drive letter assignments, so what is called H: on your PC may not be H: on another PC. Therefore, it is better to use a UNC path. That should be the same for all users of the network.

When you have modified the frontend at home, take it back to the office, and select Tools | Database Utilities | Linked Table Manager. Relink all tables to the backend using a UNC path. You can then send the new frontend to other users; it should work "out of the box", without further modification.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In addition to the responses from Mark and Hans, you might find our Database Splitting Tutorial helpful in understanding some of the concepts and benefits.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so so much. I really learn a lot from you.

But I can't relink all tables to the backend using a UNC path. I select Tools | Database Utilities | Linked Table Manager, and the "Select New Location of Reports pops up." Should I just type the UNC path on the file name field or something else. If I go to my computer, then network drive, share folder, the link address will be "H:AccessMyDatabase.mdb"

Thanks again.

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can type in the UNC path if you know it, or expand My Network Places (or Network Neighborhood, depending on your Windows version), then drill down to the server, share, folder etc.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your UNC path should look something like this:

YOURCOMPUTERNAMEH:Access|BACKEND.mdb

If your H drive is a hidden share, it would look like this:

YOURCOMPUTERNAMEH$:Access|BACKEND.mdb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assumed that the backend would be in a network folder, not in a local folder.