Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error message: Missing or Opened Exclusively (Access 2003)

I have databases on our network server, all in the same folder. One of the databases serves as a 'gateway' to open the other databases as well as some Excel worksheets and Word documents. The problem I have is that I have users who can access everything just fine, but a couple of them will get the "missing or opened exclusively by another" message when they try to open a database using the 'gateway'. This user can access the worksheets and documents; it seems to be only the databases. My network person tells me the permissions are all correct. When a different user had this problem last year I put a link to the desired database directly on her desktop to bypass the gateway and it worked just fine. I haven't tried that with this user but the purpose of the gateway is to avoid cluttering her desktop and I'd like to avoid that.

I have no security on any of the databases and other users seem to have no problem whatsoever.

I've searched the archives and haven't found this particular problem addressed. Can I get some advice on where to look or what to do that might fix this problem?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Error message: Missing or Opened Exclusively (Access 2003)

What restrictions do your users have? If they can open a form or report (or code????) in design mode, then the database where that object resides is changed to exclusive if nobody else is in it. That might explain what is happening - but I'm not sure how your are linking from one database to another. Can you tell us a bit more about how the gateway functions?
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell

The gateway acts like a menu for the user. All the user does is click on the button and the Requests database will open (or the database associated with whatever button is clicked) The same basic code is used for the excel worksheets and the word documents...

The code behind the button is:
    Dim stAppName As String
    Dim tempApp As Access.Application

Set tempApp = New Access.Application
    stAppName = "Hqexsv01databasesRequestsV3.mdb"
    tempApp.OpenCurrentDatabase stAppName
    tempApp.Visible = True

If my users knew Access they could get into anything. I am using the Startup to limit what users see when they open the database. The only way they could get in is to use the shift key.. There is no security other than user ignorance (and 'trust'). Only a few people (<10) use this gateway and this particular database and they don't know the shift key thing. Even if they did, there's no one who will get into things. This is their tool and it would serve no purpose for them to mess with it, especially since they know that I will answer any questions they have.

The frustrating part is the gateway works with everyone but her (and maybe one other - the one with the same problem last year, I haven't checked with her yet). I'm thinking it's something on her individual PC - but I have no idea what to look for...Others can get with no problem..

I'm not very knowledgeable about how everything in Windows functions. (I'm barely literate in Access...) We have a (non)help desk to do everything so I'm "not allowed" to do anything. They don't know Access so they aren't much help for me - unless I can tell them what to do.

Is that enough information to help you help me?????

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Instead of using Automation to open another database, try using Application.FollowHyperlink, or ShellExecute (see <post:=529,891>post 529,891</post:> for the code for ShellExecute and an example of its use).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans - I'll try that.

Thanks

I am sure you checked this, but,

On the databases that are not working, try opening access and go to Tools, Options, Advanced Tab, check the Default Open Mode and make sure the Shared Radio Button is checked.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Both Hans and Gary have made useful suggestions, so let me take a more general perspective. From Access 2000 forward, any sort of change to objects other than queries from a design perspective has required that you have exclusive control of the database. Unfortunately, that can include things such as Page Setup changes for a report. So we have almost exclusively put the front-end database either on the user's workstation, or if they use terminal services, we give each account their own front-end. That of course implies a split database with a front-end and a back-end. Since you are using a single gateway database, at a minimum your users are all working in the same front-end database, and if it's not split, the same database. I would suspect a user of doing something to cause the problem, such as changing the margins of a report, or specifying that a report always be printed to a specific printer.

Rather than taking the approach you use, we have created a small VB application that works as a menuing system, and lets users choose what database (or other document) they want to work in, and that app runs on each workstation, and each user gets a custom set of options based on their userID. Then we open the database front-end on the workstation, where it doesn't matter if the user has exclusive control or not, and if it corrupts or there are problems, we simply copy down the original front-end again, and away they go. The other issue that this solves is one of you as a developer needing to make changes - if you are putting out design changes to a shared front-end or combined database then you have to make sure you get everyone out before you install the changes. Hope this helps you understand some of the issues. If you want to talk about it more, please post back.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell
    I am definitely interested in what you have said. I would like to understand better and maybe even do the same thing here...
    let me know how to proceed....

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry for the long delay in responding - we use a tool we call dbLauncher to do the menuing. FMS-Inc has a somewhat similar product called Total Access Startup that provides some of the same capability.
    Wendell