Super Moderator
    Thanks

Working across NT domains

I seem to be stuck in a bit of a domain mess. We installed an SBS2003 server at a client who already had a WIN2000 sever as the PDC on an existing domain. So I decided to setup a new domain. Now however, the client wants to be able to connect to both servers, specifically to connect to a SQL Server database on the SBS2003 server. The workstations can connect to folders on the server without problems, but we get an error that we are not using a trusted connection when we try to connect to SQL Server. Does anyone know if you can be connected to two different domains from one workstation? As an alternative, can we configure the SBS Server to trust workstations on the existing domain? Any advice and/or experience would be appreciated.
    Wendell

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Working across NT domains

I'm sure others with more experience will want to chime in.

My first thought is that you can add both domains to the same forest and then allow them to trust each other. I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it, but it *should* work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I think you are out of luck.Accorind to Windows Small Business Server 2003: Networking and Security: Frequently Asked Questions:

Networking and Security
    Q. What number and types of servers can exist in the Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain?

A. There are no limits on the number or type of servers that can exist in a Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain, with the following exceptions:
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It looks like you are correct - so what happens if we change the domain name for the existing server and workstations? It seems to me I did that a few years ago, and it was painful - does anyone have any recent experience in doing this sort of thing?
    Wendell

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I'd don't have any experience there. Sorry.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How much pain this will cause depends on the number of user accounts and groups you have, and how complex the ACLs on your files, shares or other objects are. You are likely to have to recreate all of these.

StuartR