Star Lounger
    Thanks

Probs renaming admin account (XP Media Center R2)

I am sure this must have been asked before, but searching the lounge has drawn a blank....I have renamed my user account (admin account) on my PC - this is fine on the opening screen, but Explorer, under C: Docs and Settings, and everywhere else it lists file locations (such as Search etc.) insists on giving it the old name! When I try to alter this in Explorer it tells me it is a system file that cannot be changed!! Do I have to alter this in a hidden file somewhere?
    As ever, thanks in advance...

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Probs renaming admin account (XP Media Center R2)

I assume that this is on a XP Pro OS.

The BEST thing to do is to undo all you have done to this account.
    Make a NEW account with the name you want, Open the new account.
    Copy or move ALL files that you want from the old account to the new one.

I NEVER alter the "System Administrator" account. I make two "User accounts" with "Admin" rights. One is one that I use all the time, the other is a highly passworded and hidden. This is MY back door, the only time it is used when the other accounts fail. The last resort is the use the "System Administrator" account, which is also highly passworded and hidden.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: Probs renaming admin account (XP Media Center

According to MS, this behaviour is "by design". Check this KB article .

edited to add: another possible side effect of changing a user name.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Probs renaming admin account (XP Media Center R2)

Thx for quick response! I have discovered by going into 'Manage' from My Computer that at least this is not the System Admin account.

Is there an easy way to move all the files to the new account or am I making it sound too complicated? (i.e can I just move everything from within Explorer? I have nearly all my PC's programs loaded on this account so how tricky is this going to be? (and its just taken me 3 weeks to get it how I want it!)

Raine

Thanks

You may get some ideas from the thread beginning with <post:=561,221>post 561,221</post:>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I have posted an answer to this before in this thread: <post:=558,031>post 558,031</post:>; if you change the name in User Accounts screen (Control panel) you change the Full name. That is the name that appears on the Start menu, the Welcome screen and in User Accounts screen.

The user name (MS call this actual account name) is, as you have seen, used in profile names under Document and settings, it is also used internally by Windows in various commands, when log on with no Welcome screen etc.

There are ways to change the actual account name as well. But creating a new account would probably be better.

It would maybe be easier to help if we knew what you would like to do. If you have an Administrator account and some user accounts with administrator privileges (and maybe some other accounts), you probably be better of creating a new user account with administrator privileges and copy the profile.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Do NOT use Windows Explorer to move, copy or delete profiles. In a profile you can use Explorer to change, add or remove items on the Start menu or Desktop completely safely, but not whole profiles.

If you use Explorer to copy, Windows will not assign the correct permissions to the copy.

Use the User Profiles dialog. Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Settings (under User Profiles). You can not copy a profile that is logged on. Use another account, and the account must be member of the Administrators group, i.e. Administrator account or User account with administrator privileges.