5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What causes this virus warning (XL 2003)

Upon opening a workbook this morning, the attached message appeared, warning that a macro virus had been found. XL kindly disabled all my macros. In order to use the file, I made a copy, deleted all the macros, then re-imported them from the backup. It's a bit of an annoyance and IIRC, this happened a few times before. A virus scan of the original file showed no virus. I've made a SelfCert certificate, and have signed the macros so the security warning does not normally appear upon opening the file.

Any idea what's causing Windows to think there is a virus? Any way to prevent it from re-occurring?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What causes this virus warning (XL 2003)

Most likely, the workbook has been digitally signed and someone or something has changed or added macros in the workbook. If you have not changed or added macros in the workbook, then you should not trust the workbook and should scan it with a good up to date AV scanner.

If the workbook was never digitally signed, then another possibility is that the workbook has become corrupted in such a way that the security software thinks that it has been digitally signed.
    Legare Coleman