2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlink Default Name` (2003)

I use MS Access to feed several different pages on my web site. Some of the information is email address, and maps to specific site locations. I probably have about 450-500 such records, so not a large database by any means. The email and map fields are hyperlink fields. In Access, I can substitute a name for any hyperlink field, and basically reduce the long yahoo URL address link to each unique map, by defaulting the name to "map" for instance. In Access the hyperlink default name works great.

However, once I feed that information into my web site, the value for that field reverts back to the full URL address, which is quite lengthy. What I am wondering, and the basis of my question is, is there way to establish a default hyperlink name on my web pages, so the name "map" carries through from the underlying MS Access database, or establish a default value in FrontPage?

Thanks for any assistance?

Thanks

Re: Hyperlink Default Name` (2003)

Behind the scenes, the FrontPage server extensions are doing a database query. It's possible that Access is not able to deliver both the address (URL) and the desired display name through the old-fashioned query mechanism, even though when you view it in Access you can see both. I'm not familiar with URLs in Access fields, so this is just a guess. If you can't find a way to extract this data from the one field, the workaround would be to store them separately in your database: URL in one field and (optional) display name in another field, and have FP insert both into your document.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acutally I would prefer that FrontPage does not display both the default name AND the URL. I only want the default name (i.e. "Ma'", or "Email") displayed, and not the long URL.

Thanks

I haven't used FP for database stuff for a long time. What I was thinking was that your code would stick the fields in more or less like this:

<%=TheDisplayName%>

(The <%...%> is ASP-style code for substituting variable data into HTML... I can't remember how FP marks the data fields for processing by the FP Server Extensions.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is the code behind that database field.

="" & FP_FieldVal(fp_rs,"Pic1") & ""%>

At this time I have the link and default name pointed towards the "Pic1", which is a picture link. However, as mentioned, the full hyperlink URL comes up, instead of "Pic1".