Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt cross-references (2000sp3)

I have a large document with lots of cross-references. Word is crashing every time I try to save changes to it.

If I save the file as rtf and then reload it, most of my cross-references are replaced with error message. The same happens if I open and save it using office 2002 (from another computer) and then try to read it using 2000sp3. However, it looks like it is fine on the office 2002 computer.

Any suggestions? I would like to stick with 2000, but can install 2002 (or 2003) if really necessary.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupt cross-references (2000sp3)

What happens if you click the llittle dropdown arrow in the Open button in the Open dialog and select Open and Repair? This feature is available in Word 2002 and 2003, I don't know about Word 2000.
    (Warning: don't overwrite the original document after doing this; save under a different name)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have now done this (in Word 2002 - not available in Word 2000). It found an error with a text box, which I think is unrelated. Opening the file in Word 2000 again, I still find that it crashes after I make some changes and then save it again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The (partial) solution was to save the file in an earlier format of Word (6.0/95) and then reopen in Word 2000 (saving as word2000 again). Some of the more recently created cross-references became errors, but the bulk of the earlier ones were retained. A few minor formatting problems were introduced, but can be easily fixed (I hope).