Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: More McAfee problems

One does wonder how extensive the tests of antivirus updates are on 'real life' PCs...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

More McAfee problems

Another reason to give careful thought to using McAfee

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Over the years I have come to eschew both McAfee and Symantec/Norton for personal use as I feel their products have become too large and unwieldy. There's no reason a decent product should slow down a modern PC to the extent that either of these packages does.

On the flip side, this is handy information to have for a corporate environment. McAfee is installed on all of our company own computers whether we like it or not, so being able to point our system admin to this could help prevent a lot of misery in his (one man) department!!
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Just ran my first full scan with VS 11.

VS 11 does delete files WITHOUT placing the files in quarantine.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello, I am new to this stuff, but I have McAfee security suite, version 8.11? virus protection, and it asks me what I want to do with the bad files, then gives me a 20 second countdown before deleting (removing) them. Of course, I am completely clueless as to where they go....and not sure I am needing to. I just finished Woody's book on XP, saw your comments, maybe I picked the right username after all. And I won't even go into the log thing. Is mine outdated? It says no update available,, thanks for any help, need it. msmary

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have been commenting on versions 10 and 11.
    Somebody pointed out that up until version 7, McAfeee did it right, then they removed the options.

Thanks

I believe McAfee, like most security vendors, sells annual subscriptions. If your software is not nagging you to renew, it probably is updating itself with new signature files. However, you also might have the right to upgrade to the latest update of the software itself before your subscription runs out, and often this can't be done through the product's own update feature. I'm not familiar with the version numbers (e.g., 8 vs. 2007); if the copyright date in your Help>About dialog is before 2006, you probably do not have the latest version available.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, thank you for the timely answer. I purchased the laptop Jan. 10. It came with McAfee security suite. I like the format, but I went and looked at the "version" # of the various components, and they're all different. I tried the free test offered by the "test your security" link here, and it caught all but the Javascript issue. I was asking because I had tried 3 different brands after being hit with security issues. So your'e opinion is valuable to me, as the other 2 failed, miserably. A very nice site you have here, I appreciate the help. Very much so. Regards, Maryanne

Thanks

The trial of Kaspersky Suite is driving me insane with its suspicions about files I double-click in Windows Explorer. However, my only irritation with the AV component is that when I revive the computer from hibernation, it immediately complains that its signatures are out of date. Duh. Maybe it could wait until I get my wireless connection up before whining.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 21-Feb-07 11:26. Fixed incorrect link formats.)</P>On my main OS, I finally ditched NAV 2006 Monday night, even tho it had 6 months remaining in subscription.
    I installed KAV 6.

Wow! What a difference in resource use!
    KAV 6 is oft available for liitle/no cost at places such as http://www.compusa.com/ and http://www.outpost.com/.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Disable Proactive Defense and most certainly the Office Guard.
    See http://www.standards.com/Index.html?OfficeStuffExamples.

Latere, you will figure out how to (ab)use Proactive Defense.
    I'm going thru bthe same pain, but do not use Office Guard.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am at a loss as to what to do. Without going into nauseating details, I was hit hard by an internet stalker, who accessed my computer, remotely, and did, I don't know what. He turned off all my security, accessed all my email accounts, and I am trying to recover. I know who it is, and McAfee has been working. I purchased Spysweeper and V-Cillin, but neither of them actually worked. I never recieved one update or pattern file, in the 6 weeks I had them installed, by a computer expert I paid. If you can suggest a better alternative, I would love to hear it. I had to erase my harddrive 2 times just to undo the damage. I have a direct phone # to microsoft. Even my windows xp security features were messed with. I have not been a happy camper. This guy is slick, and he's not liking me at this moment. I just want to protect myself, now, while my computer seems to be running well.Thanks for your input and patience, I have been down a long road, and just want an honest professional opinion on what to do. Msmaryanne,,, aka helpmeplease1

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 21-Feb-07 21:31. Fixed link typo.)</P>Do not use McAfee. At least, do not scan wit McAfee.
    See http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=92391.

Thanks

Every security product has its good and bad points. If McAfee is working for you, please keep using it.

Also, to avoid the problem Howard is describing, make backups on a regular basis. That way, if the virus scan does remove a file you really wanted, you can get it from your backup.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Backups do not help solve the problem as the files get silently deleted.
    If in a manual scan, you can see a listing of the deleted files.

Butt, in a real-time scan, you may not know that the file has been deleted, and when you find out, it may be too late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast