Thanks

Lost Network Key (WinXP Pro SP-2)

Edit:

I'm only showing the "Wireless Network Connections" on the Wireless station, NOT the base station... so I only have to worry about it there?

And can I just go ahead and enter and confirm a new key there?

CB
    I was just having problems connectin to my home network base station. In trying to resolve it, I went to The Wireless Network Connection Properties, and clicked the Properties button for the Available Network.

The Network Key that is there, but I have forgotten it, and don't have it written down!

I was able to resolve the issue of connecting without any further dealing with the key... but, if I needed the key:

Is it set only on the wireless station? If so, or not, how can I change or reset it (this time of course WRITING IT DOWN!)?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Network Key (WinXP Pro SP-2)

Chuck,

I will have to make some guesses here, but these are my assumptions:
    <UL><LI>You have an 802.11b or 802.11g wireless network
    <LI>You have configured this network to use WEP or WPA encryption
    <LI>You only have one PC that connects wirelessly
    <LI>The wireless PC is running Windows XP
    <LI>You set the WEP or WPA key for your wireless network in the Winodws XP Wireless network settings on your PC[/list]Assuming that these assumptions are correct, you can change the key on your Wireless Access Point, and then modify your PC to use the new key that you just configured. If you tell us what make and model of Access Point you are using then we may be able to help you find where to set this.

StuartR

Thanks

Stuart:

Everything you stated is correct... and it's a WE connection.

If by make and model of Access Point you mean type of hardware, it's Miicrosoft's MN-700 on the base (router), and an MN-730 on the wireless.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,

I have no idea what a WE connection means, but I guess you could mean that the Wireless Network Connection is using WEP security.

I downloaded a base station configuration guide for the MN700 and looked to see how you set up the security key.
    <UL><LI>Using a PC that has a hard wired (not wireless) connection to the MN700, connect to it's management interface at http://192.168.2.1 - this could be at a different adress if you have changed it.
    <LI>On the menu on the left of the screen, click on the Security menu
    <LI>You may be prompted for a Base Station management password, the default is admin, but you may have changed it when you first configured the base station
    <LI>Now you can set the security level you want (WEP or WPA) and the key
    <LI>Click Apply
    <LI>Now you need to configure your wireless PC to use the same security settings[/list]I'm going to move this thread from the Windows XP Forum, to the Home Networking Forum, because that's where we usually discuss this sort of issue.

StuartR

Thanks

Stuart:

What I get in the management interface is the 26 digit passkey... THAT one I've got. But from the wireless station, the Network Connections, Wireless Network Connections, Wireless Networks tab, there is there another password... in my case 8 characters... that is separate fro the long security key... this is the one I don't have... and the one that seemingly shows only on the wireless pc.

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In your wireless connection properties, the network key always appears as ********, this doesn't mean that it has 8 characters.

Can you show us a screen shot of the window that has an "8 character password", I'm pretty sure that it this is, in fact, your 26 character WEP key.

StuartR

Thanks

Stuart:

Note the two different pics:

The one with a blank space is in fact my 26 digit key, which shows and is readable when I view it. I get at this one through 192.168.2.1 in Internet Explorer.

Now the other... THIS is the one that I'm wondering about. This one I get at via the Control Panel / Network Connections / Wireless Network Connections / Properties / Wireless Networks / Properties. And it only shows the eight digits.

Aren't they different?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,

If those two keys were different then you would not be able to connect.

The Windows one always shows as exactly 8 ******** characters. I use WPA and have a very long phrase for my key, and it still shows as ********.

StuartR

Thanks

Stuart:

Well, then I'm OK, 'cause I got the long one... silly me...

Thanks, Stuart.

Regards,
    Chuck