2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

dumb question: mailing list (2002 SP3)

I have what must be a simple problem, but I can't see the solution.

I have a mailing list database. One table holds Individuals: Individual's Number, name, e-mail address, etc. The Households Table holds: Household Number, two places for Individual's Numbers for those Individuals who are members of the household, address (street, city, state, ZIP). Households may have one or two members.

THe Problem: I want to assemble a list of all the Individuals, each entry in the list having one Individual's Name and the corresponding Household Address. So, where there are two Individuals in a Household, I want two records in the query result, one for each Individual, both of which show the same Household Address. How do i build this Query, please. I hav been attempting this for two days, without success! This has got to be a trivial problem that has been solved a million times!

Thanks for any Help
    Bob Chapman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: dumb question: mailing list (2002 SP3)

Your table structure is not ideal. Instead of two fields for Individual Numbers in the Households table, you should have none there. Instead, the Individuals table should have a Household Number field. Your problem would be solved.

You can create a union query to return one or two records per household. You must do this in SQL view. The SQL looks like this, with the appropriate names substituted:

SELECT [Household Number], [Individual Number 1]
    FROM [Household Table]
    UNION
    SELECT [Household Number], [Individual Number 2]
    FROM [Household Table]
    WHERE [Individual Number 2] Is Not Null

You can then create a query based on this query and the Individuals table.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: dumb question: mailing list (2002 SP3)

I knew there must be a solution: thanks for your great help.

Bob