3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cant see folder details (Windows 2k; outlook 2k SP2)

I needed to sort out some disk space and spotted that my local pst files - the ones in use - were dated 4 days ago. I always thought that any pst file visible in outlook took on todays date.

Went into outlook to look for precise name/location of pst file to make sure I had the right one. right-click on the folder, properties, click advanced and I get the error message "the messsaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." This applies to all local folders. I also find that I cannot close down the pst file from the right-click action. maybe this is why the date inst changing?

It did persist, I did restart outlook and it is still the same. Even though I file new messages etc the pst file date remains old.

Any ideas - I dont like using it in a dodgy state...

thanks

Mike C

Thanks

Re: Cant see folder details (Windows 2k; outlook 2

You refer to "...my local pst files..." and "...pst file to make sure I had the right one" - do you have more than one being opened by Outlook?

I suggest you try running Scanpst.exe - otherwise known as the Inbox Repair Tool - and see what that brings up. I would make a back-up of your pst(s) first - if the file is locked, try rebooting then copying/scanning before attempting to start Outlook.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cant see folder details (Windows 2k; outlook 2k SP2)

A PST file shows the last date that anything was written to it or changed. Of course, your main active PST is not likely to have an old date.

In addition to Leif's advice, which should be the first thing to do, can you advise how many PST files you have, how many you routinely open, and see if your AutoArchive settings may have created the PST file that is 4 days old?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS