3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Slide show and Video use (XP-sp2)

After a virus attack, I lost the use of the slide show and the video player. I can click "Play" and get the video to run, but the picture slide show is just gone. I looked in the Control Panel, and each thing
    is shown as "working properly". I explored the XP disc to see if I could repair these things, but that didn't work out.
    Unfortunately, to get rid of the trojan horse, I was instructed to shut off the system restore, so that option is gone for now.
    Can you safely reinstall XP over itself ? What other options do I have?
    I'm trying to resist "wiping and reloading" if I can, but I know someone that does this for money if that's the only choice.
    Obviously, I'm open to suggestions, but please keep them simple........thanks for all the past help.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Lost Slide show and Video use (XP-sp2)

Ray,
    You can do a REPAIR reinstall of the OS which will not affect your apps but will reinstall all of the needed XP files.

For the steps involved, go to" HOW TO
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks

Do you mean the slide show wizard power toy? If so, just uninstall and reinstall.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know about a wizard for slide show and video play - I had whatever comes with XP when it's new.
    I've tried to "search" on each of these, but got nothing.
    Is there something else I need to know?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a lot - I'll try the Repair Install and see if I can make it work. I really appreaciate the reply.