New Lounger
    Thanks

Home network connection problem

I'm new at everything regarding wireless networking and am having trouble finding a solution to a wireless connection problem. I hope someone can help me. My roommate and I have two laptops we are trying to connect to a cable ISP using a linksys router. He set his laptop up first as the default network. Using Intel PROSet Wireless I can connect to the internet wirelessly just fine. When he goes through Intel Wireless it also shows he is connected to the network but he cannot access the internet wirelessly; but if he plugs the cable directly to his laptop he CAN access the internet. My wireless connection works whether he is "plugged in" or not. Does anyone have any ideas what we may be doing wrong or anything we can try? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks (I'm sure wirelessly probably isn't a real word!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Home network connection problem

What ways are IP addresses allocated? (Do you put them in on each machine manually, or is it dynamic?)

Do you have any encryption enabled on the wireless modem/router? (WEP, etc)

What Operating system are you running?
    Best Regards,

Luke

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Luke,
    Thanks for your reply. I've been out of town and just got back on line. We are both running Windows XP. I've checked all the settings of our two laptops side by side and everything seems to be the same (encryption etc..). The IP addresses I believe are entered dynamically (uh, sorry to sound like an idiot here but I'm pretty sure we didn't enter them manually). When I look at the two addresses, mine starts with 192 like everything I've read says it should and his starts with something like 169. Every time we try to change his it gives us an error message saying it can't complete the process. We must be doing something wrong there. The only other difference between our two systems is that I have Norton Internet security and he has something else I've never heard of (not McAffee or Norton). When he is home I will ask him again what his security system is.
    Thanks for your time and help. I still have a lot to learn and though I read as much as I can it's great to have a live person out there with advice.
    Katherine

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The address starting 169. something is used by Microsoft when it can't get a valid IP address. This means that he has not manage to correctly get an address from the network.

Try this to see if it helps...

Right click on your Wireless Network Connection in the Start > Connect To menu
    Choose STATUS from the popup menu
    Click on the Support tab
    Click the Repair button

StuartR